Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2004, 05:40 PM

Default From NL to fixed limit ?

Im winning no limit holdem player at $5/$10 level. And i started playing with NL and have never really tried fixed limit play, anyways now im going to try some shorthanded fixed limit game, because of the speed of game and that it seems to be more fun. But im really confused about what is correct style, couple of big time winners who ive been wacthing seems to be amazingly aggressive raising and reraising everything possible especially preflop. So i tried that style in small games at pokerstars ($3/$6) but results werent too good. I know books tell to play "tight & aggressive" but ive been watching lot of those guys with ultra aggressive style, so it "must" be good. And basicly im asking for some tips how to play that ultra aggressive style correctly and with best hourlyrate. All other tips to good FL play are also welcome, of course.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:01 PM

Default Re: From NL to fixed limit ?

A really good book to read if you're making the transition from NL to limit is Inside the Poker Mind by John Feeney. It's touted as a pyschological book, but it's more a book on limit tactics and they are presented in a way that makes the differences between NL and limit easily discernable to the NL player. I've recommended it to 4 or 5 big bet players and they all had an Aha! moment.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:22 PM

Just like in NL, how your opponents play is extremely important. The most successful players are those who adapt their game to who they're playing so as to profit from their present situation. Always having a certain style isn't the way to go.

That is, "ultra aggressive" may be appropriate in a given situation but not in another.

There are some excellent players that post in this forum, so reading the posts and posting your hands for comments is a good way to go.

The Theory of Poker is an excellent book which has many principles that can be applied to short handed.

If you are an NL player, you must be used to playing short handed, so many of the same principles apply in terms of trying to read your opponents and taking advantage of their mistakes. However, what's a mistake is different in limit is different than no limit.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyways now im going to try some shorthanded fixed limit game, because of the speed of game and that it seems to be more fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love shorthanded fixed limit, but I don't think most people would consider it more "fun" than no-limit. However, there is quite a bit of dough out there to be won in shorthanded (just look at Schneids' 60K in 60 days posts in the Texas Hold'Em forum).

About playing ultra-aggressive, it works in certain situations. If you're playing Party 1/2, where nearly every hand goes to showdown, ultra-aggressive will get you killed, because the only chance loose-passives have of making money is if they catch a lot of bluffs. It was suggested in this post that ultra-aggressive might be the way to go in these shorthanded games, but it seems that the general consensus of the board is that it is not a winning style of play.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:27 PM

if you've been watching big time winners, you have likely been watching high stakes. what works in high stakes will get terrible results in low stakes.

my suggestion is to watch the players at the limit you want to start playing. you will learn more from that than any book (not ot say that reading books is bad, because it isn't), and your poker instincts will take over. assuming you have good instincts, you will win.

cheers!
Old 06-20-2004, 04:05 PM

Thanks for tips guys, first time i write here and get greate tips, nice forum!

Actually i already have this "inside the poker mind" and readed it last night. Now im trying that ultra aggressive style with little tighter starting requirements, and i have played 6 hours tonight in $5/$10 6 seatter at poker stars, with much more better result(offcourse very short run). I still play about 50% hands and NEVER call its either check/fold or raise. Preflop i play hands only raising / betting. Tables have started to get empty pretty soon and some guys complain about my style that its just like typical europa fish style [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Im not planning to start making living from fixed insted of NL but, this style seems to be fun and hopefully also profitable.

- Jack
Old 06-20-2004, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still play about 50% hands

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, i am looser than most successful players and i see between 35% and 40% of flops. you will lose money playing 50% of your hands, i am confident of that.

cheers!