Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: I don\'t know how to deal with the donk turn

So against an unknown, you would call down with 1 overcard? How about 2?

Does the analysis change if the turn puts 2 draws on board, such as 2 different flush draws?

By the way, I'm playing 5/10 now. Do you tend to view a donk bet from an unknown at 10/20 different than 5/10?
Old 10-28-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, I think I may actually have learned something here. Raising the donk seems pretty safe. If I'm 3-bet, I can readily fold to an unknown, and otherwise, I may well get a free card. I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this in my experience is that guys who like to donk also like to donk the next round even if they are raised. I am more worried about him donking the river again than I am about him 3-betting the turn. It is an easy fold to a 3-bet on the turn, but some guys can repeatedly donk with some crazy stuff.

Cartman
Old 10-28-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, I think I may actually have learned something here. Raising the donk seems pretty safe. If I'm 3-bet, I can readily fold to an unknown, and otherwise, I may well get a free card. I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this in my experience is that guys who like to donk also like to donk the next round even if they are raised. I am more worried about him donking the river again than I am about him 3-betting the turn. It is an easy fold to a 3-bet on the turn, but some guys can repeatedly donk with some crazy stuff.

Cartman

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. Therefore, you should only be raising the turn if you are prepared to fold to a 3 bet as well as a river donk. If your opponent is capable of bluffing either as a turn 3 bet or river donk then you should be calling down instead of raising.

Additionally, if you know your opponent to not be the type to bluff 3 bet/donk, maybe you should just be folding the turn in the first place.

In other words, raising the turn is tempting, but i think it is the correct play least often.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:21 PM

For all those who claim that they have see a fish donk the turn, you raise and then donk the river and you call and win, find an example. I looked through some hands and can't find one. Not tyring to be a dick, just cna't find an example of a donk bet on a drawless board when they donk the river and you still win.

JOe
Old 10-28-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For all those who claim that they have see a fish donk the turn, you raise and then donk the river and you call and win, find an example. I looked through some hands and can't find one. Not tyring to be a dick, just cna't find an example of a donk bet on a drawless board when they donk the river and you still win.

JOe

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolute Poker 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Tc 7c (ace high).
Hero has Ac 9d (two pair, aces and nines).
Outcome: Hero wins 12.50 BB. </font>
Old 10-28-2005, 03:06 PM

Maybe he was scared you'd check behind on the river.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:13 PM

This hand is a different situation, as the villain 3-bet pf and led the flop.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:33 PM

you have two pair in this example, i meant the situation we were talking about were you have mid pair. But his hand is sweet.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:44 PM

That's been my experience, too. I've noticed that they donk the flop, donk the turn, and check call river often.

I think this bet on the turn usually signifies a hand.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:25 PM

One of my favorites is when you raise before the flop. Donk in BB calls. Donks the flop, you raise. Donks the turn, you raise, then leads out the river. I saw someone do this with a gutshot, then called my river raise with 8 high. People that donk on the turn seem to usually have whatever draw appeared on the turn. They read about the semi-bluff somewhere and thought that they could do it too. Or they see when someone on the WPT calls with nothing then "takes the pot away" later, and think they should try it. I will almost never fold to this move if I have any showdown value.