Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Favorite hand to crack aces

I don't get it. Didn't you lose to a straight?
Old 07-22-2005, 08:37 PM

Luckily they seem to only have found the General, and Internet boards. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My all time favorite is the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

This one time it was late in a tourney and the blinds were increasingly eating up stacks. Everytime I went all in preflop with a hand like KTs, A9s or any PP of 7's and above I took a big lead just by stealing the blinds.

So anyways, this one time I raised only 3BB with the very KQs. And a dude goes all in. While I'm thinking what to do, he types in "Let's dance", putting himself on a small PP. So I call, he had AA.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Turn: 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] That puts my opponent's heart in his mouth as any K, any Q, an Ace, a 9 or any hearts would win it for me.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] All the draws didn't matter after all and I type in "Thank you come again".

Actually I cracked them Bullets a couple of times the same tourney with the same K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and once more in a heads-up tourney the same day.

My all in time unfavorite is the AK. Heads up tourney, I go all in with AK, the dude has AA. Flop KKx, turn: x, river: A.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have made at least one error in telling this story.

I feel like Encyclopedia Brown solving "The Case of the Cracked Aces." How did Encyclopedia know CANUCKS POCKER's story never happened?

(and yes, a couple other people pointed this out as well)
Old 07-30-2005, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious about fun stories of cracking aces and what your favorite hands are to do it--and of course the story associated with that.

Some of my fun stories, which I'm sure you all would find boring so I won't tell them, involve 43s, 42o, J3s, 87s, and my all time personal favorite hand, Big Lick-- 96 (Suited of clubs or spades being my choice).

And I think we all should take a moment of silence to thank those in the poker community who think 4:1 means invincible.

Also, at teh Excalibur, where they let you spin the wheel if your aces are cracked, the 1-2 NL is just the best for cracking aces--though I haven't been there since I moved up to 2-5 and mostly play online anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite beat of A-A was with 4-5 of clubs in a 15/30 limit game. The hand played like this...

UTG player raises for the 4th consecutive time and UTG+1 cold calls the raise and I 3-bet with 4-5c. Pot gets capped and we see the flop 3 handed. Having played with the capper a lot in the past including already alot tonight... I know he can cap with alot of hands and it doesnt have to be A-A.

The flop comes 7-5-2 with one club. The capper leads and the CC'r folds and I raise, he raises, I raise, he raises, I raise, he finally just calls.

The turn is a 4 and I have hit my gin card. Capper leads again and I raise, he just calls.

River is a 10 and he checks and calls and MHIG!!

The funny thing was on the end when he called he said "Did you flop a set?"
I reply "No but two pair must be good!"

It was a fun hand that I got lucky on... but it did wonders for my image... as I play 99% of the time live against a very regular lineup and turning over a play like that certainly makes them pay me off even more!!
Old 07-30-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Back to the original post....

[ QUOTE ]
1. The hands almost always play out like this--I call a small raise preflop. If I don't flop trips or a straight or something awesome, I call small cheap bets to the river. Then I raise an ungodly amount on the end, putting the guy all in. The moron calls. I don't go in with crap against half way decent players who realize that something is wrong there--I am talking about finding people who just can't believe that aces have been beaten and give me their whole stack. That's how the hand invariably plays out.

2. If I find a person like the guy in the above paragraph and he and I have lots of chips, then yeah, I'll play them in any position. Of course all the other considerations have to be in place, but yeah, I'll call with anything from any position if the situation is right.

3. Because I'm getting 30:1 in implied odds.

I hope I have finally explained myself. I am not advocating playing crap because I think "any two will do." I am talking about people who donate when their aces aren't good and make up for all the missed odds and then some. I don't sit down at a table and shove preflop with 42o.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, let's analyze the guy's mistakes with AA which even allows this ugly scenario to unfold:

1. He bets too little pre-flop. Why the hell isn't he raising at least 3xBB or 5xBB if there is action ahead of him.

2. He is not betting enough on the flop - assuming a non-dangerous flop, he should be betting at least Pot Size or 1.5xPot Size. If the flop is dangerous, why the hell is he calling any large bets.

3. Never call a massive all-in bet with AA unless you have at least trips. Especially if it comes on the river.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:23 PM

ive never done this or seen this happen, but cracking aces with another pair of aces by getting a flush would be pretty funny.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:53 AM

i'm going to go with the other set of aces.. hitting 4 suited cards on the board for the flush
Old 07-31-2005, 12:25 PM

The other two Aces.