Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What sushi roll should I try?
Philadelphia roll (avocado cream cheese, fish roe & smoked salmon) 6 17.65%
Crab tempura roll (deep fried crabmeat & cucumber inside) 14 41.18%
Salmon skin roll (broiled salmon & scallions) 5 14.71%
California roll (avocado, crabmeat, cucumber & fish roe) 9 26.47%
Boston roll (avocado, lettuce, mayo & shrimp) 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: How many of you people actually have real jobs? (nc)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a purchasing coordinator (don't ask) putting in around 50+ a week. My girlfriend and I are in the process of buying a salon so I can quit my current job and support my poker habit. She's a keeper! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats a purchasing coordinator? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost like a purchasing manager, except with IMPLIED authority instead of actual... dotted-lines s*ck $%#@! Who's with me?
Old 06-29-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: How many of you people actually have real jobs?

[ QUOTE ]
I was gonna say something like this, although maybe with a little less venom.

I just think that a lot of people on this forum -- maybe not as many as they all imagine -- could make a living playing poker. And could probably do pretty well.

But just think about . . . at the end of your life, you don't have all that much to show for it. I am about to enter my first year of law school, with every intention of spending my life "fighting for the little guy," maybe (probably) for less money than I would make playing poker for a living (this is all speculation -- I've not played as many SNGs as some of you folks play in a month, but I'm pretty bright). But I'll have some substance to my life.

Listen, I'm not one of those people who were on the psych forum a few weeks back, talking about how playing poker for a living is evil. And I don't have any particular problem with it. It's a really great time. I just think . . . imagine being 60 years old and sort of reflecting. You won't imagine that you've contributed a great deal.

I guess I just have some delusions at this point of a life where I contribute something important, and I know that I wouldn't do that playing poker. Every once in a while we happen upon a Barry Greenstein, who gives so much of himself to help others through his talent at poker. But for the vast majority of poker players, that is nowhere close to their intentions. And a life where I'm not contributing anything just... isn't the life for me.

On the other hand, I'm thinking poker will make a pretty good part-time job throughout law school. No commute.

[/ QUOTE ]

The attorneys I work for dont give a damn thing back to soceity, or any ive known for that matter. Its all about the money. You may have good intentions now but I have a feeling 10 yrs from now you wont have the same outlook.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The attorneys I work for dont give a damn thing back to soceity, or any ive known for that matter. Its all about the money. You may have good intentions now but I have a feeling 10 yrs from now you wont have the same outlook.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I mean, the good intentions I have at the moment will have to do. I'm not going to predict that 10 years from now I'll be some bitter, money-hungry dude, simply based on the fact that a lot of other people in my chosen profession have become that way. Life would be pretty depressing if I looked at it like that.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I mean, seriously, I got 'pretend' fired at one point and for about two minutes thought I actually *was* fired but even during those two minutes I realized that I just had too many options at my disposal to actually be worried.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously Yugo, they can't fire you from McDonalds. Dont sweat it.

[/ QUOTE ]

They fired Gigabet [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. Once upon a time he was lofty restaurant manager...I'm just a lowly register worker (or as I like to call it, 'McDope Peddlar.' Anyway, why do you think Giga lives out of Fischman's house?? He's got no steady income...[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Yugoslav
Old 06-29-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am about to enter my first year of law school, with every intention of spending my life "fighting for the little guy," maybe (probably) for less money than I would make playing poker for a living (this is all speculation -- I've not played as many SNGs as some of you folks play in a month, but I'm pretty bright). But I'll have some substance to my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, good luck w law school.

Second, while you sound full of good intentions, keep in mind that 1) law school is NOT cheap; and 2) the jobs that pay enough to provide a nice living (rent, repmt of loans, etc) are the ones that involve working for big banks and corporations. If you have a method of going to law school cheap/free - more power to you, but it isn't as easy as you might think to "help the little guy" if/when you have a lot of debt and want to live in a large and expensive city or anything like that.

that said, I couldnt be happier w my choice of law school. As far as poker part time - i did it this year (my 3rd - got some modest spending $$ and fun in the process), but i would recommend some legal-related/resume building work (even for free) as well as SNG grinding.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:53 PM

nice post...Im now debating between being a teacher or being a poker player, sadly my parents dont support either [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Teachers are unfairly underrated in the chilean middle-high class due to their low wages.
The thing about being a teacher is that my top potential profit is $15000 a year...just a few thoughts, ure post made me think żDo I really want to be my whole life in front of a computer screen?
Old 06-29-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, good luck w law school.

Second, while you sound full of good intentions, keep in mind that 1) law school is NOT cheap; and 2) the jobs that pay enough to provide a nice living (rent, repmt of loans, etc) are the ones that involve working for big banks and corporations. If you have a method of going to law school cheap/free - more power to you, but it isn't as easy as you might think to "help the little guy" if/when you have a lot of debt and want to live in a large and expensive city or anything like that.

that said, I couldnt be happier w my choice of law school. As far as poker part time - i did it this year (my 3rd - got some modest spending $$ and fun in the process), but i would recommend some legal-related/resume building work (even for free) as well as SNG grinding.

[/ QUOTE ]

well shoot, not to totally derail the thread, but i figure i'll respond.

i've had pretty good luck with resume building while in undergrad, having worked in the senate for a summer and then three summers at a private dc law firm.

and i knows its tough, and i know ill be in debt. but I think there are some good paying jobs as an attorney while you don't have to "sell your soul." I have been working at an employment law firm, where our guys get paid pretty well to take up the cause for people who were wrongfully terminated or otherwise discriminated against.

We also pick up the occasional med-mal case, and we have a strong enough reputation where we are able to pick and choose cases that we believe in. It's a pretty good situation.

But hey, who knows. Maybe i'll get out of law school and turn into this evil corporate lawyer who cares only for money, as I'm apparently destined to do. For now... I hope I don't.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:39 PM

I also want to be a teacher someday, but not till im older and have aquired a fair amount of money, maybe thats greedy, but I want to be comfortable and teaching isnt the way to go. But I do want to teach high school math and coach cross country and track and I feel that will be my best way to truly give back.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You people all make me sad. Seriously.

I've never heard so much whining in my life about such great jobs, pretty much all of which guarantee a nice income and pretty much all of which provide you with much more job satisfaction than the vast majority of the world gets sewing shoes together and flipping burgers.

I mean, gimme a break. Would I rather pursue a career in a cutting edge field, around real people, doing important work, or would I rather sit around repeating the same menial task over and over every hour, eight times an hour, devoid of personal contact? hmmm, that's a tough one. Lazy bastards.

And the real problem is that I know just what most of you are like because I knew a lot of people just like you when I was in university. So busy cramming and studying so you could get your stellar marks, so you could get your big jobs, and all the while I was actually enjoying school because I actually liked what I was studying. Maybe it wasn't so smart picking your careers based solely on how much money you were gonna someday make when it turns out you hated it all along. Next life, try doing something that you believe in.

Regards
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post, Brad.

I have a lot of thoughts on this topic, and actually just wrote a long reply that I decided not to post.

Instead, I will just say this- the meaning of life is not ellusive. We all know it, and it has been written in every language since the beginning of time. I have a few favorite versions, of course:

"Be excellent to each other, and party on"
-Bill S. Preston, esq. and Ted Theodore Logan

"Make yourself comfortable and ride it out."
-The Yugoslavian

So the problem lies not in finding the answer, but rather in knowing what to do with it.

Once you understand what being excellent to each other, and making yourself comfortable really means... you will understand the role of a "job" and you will want one.

Irieguy
Old 06-29-2005, 05:08 PM

Most of them are a bunch of 20-whatever-year-olds. It's what they do.