Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 10:32 AM

Default A8 Microlimit (6 max), standard play?

My first attempt using hand convert, need some help with how I played here...

Too aggressive?

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB(villain)/ 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">villain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">villain 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">villain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, villain calls.

River: (11 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">villain raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">villain caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB

Old 11-28-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Re: A8 Microlimit (6 max), standard play?

I like it. Without a read you are probably looking at one or 2 pair hear much more often than a full house or an improbable straight. Even with a read that the guy was tight postflop your line is probably good. I think that the most likely way for you to get beat here is if he had KK. If he had TT or 66 he's probably reraising the turn. He could very easily have KT or AK.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:43 AM

What's your read on the villain? If he's a maniac, I think you're okay on the river (maybe he had AK, KQs, etc). If he's normally passive, or very tight, I think you're behind here, and I'd call the check-raise.

I think I would call the flop with middle pair after his preflop activity.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:44 AM

Hey henrikrh-

I probably would have folded A8o preflop. If it had been folded to you I would try the raise for a blind steal attempt but otherwise I think A8o is too weak here unless you have reads that tell you otherwise.

As played I would have just called the flop bet. I don't think you can protect your weak middle pair against villian here and either way any advantage we have will change drastically with the turn (up or down).

That being said, I like the raise when you hit trip 8's on the turn.

Edit after river play was added by the OP:

On the river I think you were too aggro. I would probably check behind or at the most bet/call.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey henrikrh-

I probably would have folded A8o preflop. If it had been folded to you I would try the raise for a blind steal attempt but otherwise I think A8o is too weak here unless you have reads that tell you otherwise.

As played I would have just called the flop bet. I don't think you can protect your weak middle pair against villian here and either way any advantage we have will change drastically with the turn (up or down).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 6 max and I'm on teh button , I think a8 is a clear raise here everytime, and I'm not fodling to his 3 bet, which i but on a range of 66-AA and JQs-AK. Preflop the guy is very average, but he would use a continuation bet, hence my flop raise, the reraise tells me I'm probably not ahead, or he thinks I'm very weak. On the turn I think I''m ahead almost 95% of the time and the action reflects that.

With this in mind, still fold?
Old 11-28-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey henrikrh-

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 6 max and I'm on teh button , I think a8 is a clear raise here everytime, and I'm not fodling to his 3 bet, which i but on a range of 66-AA and JQs-AK. Preflop the guy is very average, but he would use a continuation bet, hence my flop raise, the reraise tells me I'm probably not ahead, or he thinks I'm very weak. On the turn I think I''m ahead almost 95% of the time and the action reflects that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, the extra read info helps. If your reads are that it is a good raise vs. these opps that's cool! Absent reads, with limpers in front, I would fold vice a raise (yes, I realize the limper the folded when faced with calling a 3-bet). For me, reads here can make all the difference!
Old 11-28-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey henrikrh-

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with loyalguard and even 6max I would definitely fold A8 on the button. The only way I would call or maybe consider raising (depending on the table) is if they were suited. Nice agression postflop though.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:51 AM

I would just call the checkraise on the river, unless I have a read telling me to do otherwise. Everything else looks good.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:01 PM

I agree, I overplayed the river. The guy had KK and his full house took the nice pot from me.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:38 PM

PF: fine

flop: i'd probably cool-call.

turn: easy

river: he's screaming KK, don't 3-bet.