Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best?Favorite Michael Jackson song
Billy Jean 33 35.11%
Smooth Criminal 14 14.89%
Beat it 10 10.64%
Thriller 12 12.77%
Bad 0 0%
Other 17 18.09%
None/Don't like any of it 8 8.51%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2005, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Should BK hire Tommy Angelo?

You don't need help with how to be a good poker pro (at least not at that pricetag!). You already have good discipline, table select well, don't let poker take over your life, and are good at playing lots when you're running well and confident.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't need help with how to be a good poker pro (at least not at that pricetag!). You already have good discipline, table select well, don't let poker take over your life, and are good at playing lots when you're running well and confident.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree. It may just be an interesting experience to absorb some different perspective, but poker-wise I can't see it making a huge difference for you.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:22 PM

Might as well replace your toilet paper with 5k worth of hundred dollar bills and wipe your ass with them.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who makes more $$ playing poker? You I'm sure. You don't take business advice from people who are less successful than yourself.. common sense... You should charge him if you had a trade...

[/ QUOTE ]
While I agree with your conclusion, you're reasoning is absurd.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:57 PM

good times. . . . in all seriousness, Tommy seems like his own player with intangibles that despite being beneficial to him may hurt other players, esp. good established online players like bk. fwiw pokerprince, I played in AC and met a good friend of Tommy's (Dave) and I brought up my admiration for his writing and what he brings to the game but also expressed my concerns about some of his poker theories. He said that Tommy WINS A LOT, which I assumed was true. . . .
Old 09-16-2005, 08:06 PM

I think it is pretty common to always feel slightly inadequate, to feel like you're a fraud - not really as good as your winrate suggests. I also think that you would be better served finding a friend, an eqaul with whom to talk about poker. You are past the point of needing a "teacher" but undoubtedly still have things to learn. Of course I don't really know you, nor do I know Tommy. So, whatever.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:09 PM

Yes.

Then come back here and divulge all of his given information for free.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:33 PM

I learned an awful lot back when I used to play with Tommy. I actually think his presence at the table was +EV for me. Because him sitting there playing his A game all night told me I had better do the same, and I did.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:36 PM

I have to vote a strong yes.

I've read all of Tommy's articles and his posts here and in mid/high NL have always made me think much deeper and reexamine basic assumptions with positive net results. If I had known about this back when it was 2k, I would have done it in a heartbeat even though it would be 1/6th my bankroll.

In any sport, what separates the top elite from the merely very good? It is not skill, but the less tangible elements. Poker is a mostly mental game after you master the basics. This is the critical element to successful and long term winning and what a coach is very useful for.

Friends/schmiends. Everyone needs friends to unwind but we are talking here about a focused examination over 4 days on poker with your undivided attention on the matter (paying for the privilege focuses the mind wonderfully). I would not be surprised if what is beneficial about it is something that you would not have predicted beforehand.

have to run. good luck on the decision.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:58 PM

I personally have less respect for Tommy's posts on 2+2 than almost anyone, however some people have told me Tommy is a great player and I take their word on it. There's no way Tommy could hurt your game. My vote is go for it, if you don't learn anything play an extra 10 hours or whatever it takes you to make it back weekend, if it does help your winrate improves for every hour of play for the rest of your life.