Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 12:51 PM

Default 1/2NL Live - Set of 7\'s Hand

100max 1/2 NL Live

villain has $70 or so in BB, hero covers in MP - villain is new at the table

Hero is dealt 77 and limps along with 4 others

$10 Flop: 7-J-9 rainbow
Villain bets $10, Hero raises to $25, all fold to Villain who calls.

$60 Turn: 10x
Villain checks, Hero checks

$60 River: 10x
Villain checks, hero bets $40, villain calls

I thought it was odd that villain flat-called my flop raise. Being BB he could have any two cards here (two pair, flopped straight, 68 for the OESD) to call that raise. Did not like the turn card obviously thus the check behind. I figured I was likely ahead with the full house at the river thus the bet putting villain all-in.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: 1/2NL Live - Set of 7\'s Hand

seems ok to me. The only thing that worries me is that it was the 10 or J that paired and people love playing J 10. I'd play it the same.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: 1/2NL Live - Set of 7\'s Hand

Standard.

The turn check is good as many str8 draws just got there. Check the turn and reevaluate on the river. The BB has to have a decent hand to lead into 5 limpers with a pot sized bet on the flop, but this is live so anything goes.

The turn check could have been a missed check-raise that then goes into check-call mode when the river pairs.

I expect you are fair and away ahead on the river since if villain has a strong hand (boat) on the river he is not checking it since you may check behind as you did on the river.

Post the stack size of the BB (villain). Depending on how short stacked the villain is, it may make more sense to push the flop. Your reraise there is a bit weak (half pot raise -- the pot is 30 when you call his bet. If villain has 60, then pushing is the same as a potsized raise).