Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 02:44 PM

Default set vs...

How was the line, the lead otu and CR turn, what would you do if the flush hit on the turn??

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (7 handed) converter

CO ($36.75)
Button ($38.45)
Hero ($30.35)
BB ($41.05)
UTG ($24.75)
MP1 ($35.55)
MP2 ($25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.1. MP2 posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $0.5</font>, Button calls $0.50, Hero (poster) calls $0.40, BB calls $0.25, MP2 folds.

Flop: ($2.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, BB folds, CO calls $2, Button calls $2.

Turn: ($8.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $3.5</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $11</font>, CO calls $7.50.

River: ($30.25) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, CO calls $8.

Final Pot: $46.25
Old 06-24-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: set vs...

I like lead out and check raise the turn.

if turn was flush, I check and see whether co bets or whether button bets.

if co bets and button calls, I am priced in to boat up.

if co bets and button raises, do a odds calculation.

if button bets, I do a odds calculation.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:55 PM

I really like leading out kinda small on the turn. He could still call with a flush draw, and almost any A is raising you anyway.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:14 PM

I think your line is ok, your river value bet was way too small....anyone with an ace is going to call a bigger bet..i'd put him on an ace since he called the checkraise. You are only realistically behind to AQ here...if he made that small of a raise with AA or QQ then he's getting more of my money. If he's got an ace he would probably call a push.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:21 PM

Does anybody here consider a check min-raise on the flop? I like the way OP played the hand, but I'm wondering about the min-checkraise as a tool to pump up the pot.

Following my logic, I understand that you'd be pricing flush draws in, but the betting thus far in the hand suggests that that is unlikely for CO and that button has already made a fairly serious blunder if he called CO's flop bet with only a flush draw.

Please help me understand what this line would be telling an opponent, either observant or fishy.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:28 PM

I like the flop bet of almost pot. Clearly people here like their hands.

The turn is the critical information point. Both you and the CO are representing at a minimum trip aces.

The river is an automatic push. You have only about $16 behind you for a half-pot bet. Put it in there. If he will call $8, he will call $16 with naked trips. If you ran into AQ or A9, that's poker but odds are AJ or AT or Ax are more likely holdings and you will call a raise anyway on the river.

Get it all in there on the river. No time to be shy here...
Old 06-24-2005, 03:43 PM

Looks like trip aces. A9 is a slim possibility. If he had AQ, he had no reason not to raise the river.

As far as your line, I like it except for the check raise on the turn. I'd prefer to bet it instead.