Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Some of the biggest Business blunders in history...

Facit was a company that made great mechanical calculators. They kinda missed the train when it came to the electronic calculator but continued to make mechanical ones until their inevitable demise.

Levi Strauss is another company that has gone from world leader to struggling today. I don't know if it depends on a single huge mistake. I think it is mostly not understanding the changing market and being so content with being number one that they stopped trying hard enough.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:45 PM

Time will tell if this is a blunder for Party.

One thing for sure. They do not believe in the go with what got you there theory.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The SEC has no authority over a British company. And I doubt the SEC or its UK equivilent would ever penalize a corportation for it's customers' wrongdoing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The skins are not customers, they are business associates. If they were customers, I would think Party would have more say in player policies/enforcement by the skins.

It is common in the US for companies to be held responsible for business associate actions. I know this from insurance and reinsurance company background. As the Insurance company, my company is responsible for all data it allows 3rd parties to process. If they drop the ball, we are on the hook.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:29 PM

I could be way wrong, but didn't University of Florida invent Gatorade then give up the formula? or sell it for peanuts?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could be way wrong, but didn't University of Florida invent Gatorade then give up the formula? or sell it for peanuts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe they sold it for several tens of thousand dollars, but it did become worth millions later.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The SEC has no authority over a British company. And I doubt the SEC or its UK equivilent would ever penalize a corportation for it's customers' wrongdoing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The skins are not customers, they are business associates. If they were customers, I would think Party would have more say in player policies/enforcement by the skins.

I didn't say they were customers. I don't know their exact relationship, but you called them "Vendors" in your initial post. I suggested that a more accurate description might be "corporate customers" since they are providing a service to the other companies.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:13 AM

dont know if that qould qualify as a blunder though.

They turned a decent profit when they sold, and they might not have been able to mass market the way the people did that bought it from them.

In that sense then the guy who invented coca cola is very similar to that. He eventually sold the formula, for an amount that was well worth his efforts, and i wouldnt really call it a mistake at time for him. Can't recall the exact details, but i think he got everything out of it that he as an individual could have...
Old 10-12-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe they sold it for several tens of thousand dollars, but it did become worth millions later.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Snopes:

"The success of the drink has brought fame but also fortune to University of Florida. Gatorade has fetched more than $80 million in royalties for the school since 1973, when a series of legal disputes resulted in the creation of the Gatorade Trust for the benefit of the original inventors and the school. "