Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: 3 hands at 5/10 today

Yeah we're a 2-1 dog against that range (which I think is pretty accurate). Unless it has some pretty sweet postflop benefits (and more likely it just bloats the pot and will help keep overcards around til the river), I'd just call.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:01 PM

Hand #1) I wouldn't have capped pre-flop, a call in that situation would have been sufficient. I don't think you needed to fold to just a bet either. Depending on my read, I might have raised him to see where I was at, but at a minimum I'm calling.
Hand #2) I know it's kind of tight, but I would have most-likely folded after MP1 raised post-flop. My limited experience has taught me that I lose much more cash chasing with big slick after I miss the flop than I make when I get lucky and suck out.
Hand #3). I would have had to pay the guy off inthis situation. It's probably a loser, but that's what I would do. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 3: I'm confused by the check/call on the turn K. I'd expect him to raise a K often on the flop. I'd assume my hand is still best a lot of the time, pretty sure I'd call down a raise too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the turn check is generally quite good in Hand #3, actually.

1. The K is a good bluffing card. We'll get raised a lot here, and sometimes by worse hands. Checking assures we don't get bluffed out of the pot.

2. We may have outs against mid-pairs and such. These types of hands are rarely folding, but might check through the turn and let us have a free shot at the river.

3. Our hand is good a lot of the time, but very often the hands that we are beating are going to fold anyway, and often they are drawing slim. Checking allows worse As and such a chance to put in money they otherwise might not have.

4. The board isn't that scary with draws. I'm a little concerned about gutshot possibilities like JT and QJ, but I'm willing to take a slight risk against them in heads-up pots. If we check they might bet anyway so it doesn't really matter in a lot of cases.

So I don't see much reason to follow through with a bet on the turn automatically here. Nate the Great advocates a good line with these hands: check-call the turn and check-fold the river. The idea is that when we check the turn villain will bet tons of hands trying to take down the pot, but will rarely bet the river unless its actually for value. Our turn call says we're likely not going anywhere and so we can be confident folding when villain bets a second time.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So I don't see much reason to follow through with a bet on the turn automatically here. Nate the Great advocates a good line with these hands: check-call the turn and check-fold the river. The idea is that when we check the turn villain will bet tons of hands trying to take down the pot, but will rarely bet the river unless its actually for value. Our turn call says we're likely not going anywhere and so we can be confident folding when villain bets a second time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consarnit! I just read that post too! I should probably consider applying what I learn here at the table.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:24 PM

nice post
Old 12-07-2005, 08:54 PM

Also, to clarify a bit (or you can link the original post), what type of situations/boards was Nate's plan for? Obviously when we have air in a HU situation...Seems like we want Ax since our hand is good a lot of the time...what else?
Old 12-07-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, to clarify a bit (or you can link the original post), what type of situations/boards was Nate's plan for? Obviously when we have air in a HU situation...Seems like we want Ax since our hand is good a lot of the time...what else?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's specifically for times we have a big A OOP in a heads-up pot. Basically the idea is we have outs to improve but will also have the best hand a lot of the time. So we see the river and hope to showdown a winner unimproved a good portion of the time, but don't put in any money on the river.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:57 PM

Cool. And if we're up against say a 50/30/3 type of nutcase...or someone real aggressive, is c/c'ing the river ok? Do we abandon that line for something else?
Old 12-07-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool. And if we're up against say a 50/30/3 type of nutcase...or someone real aggressive, is c/c'ing the river ok? Do we abandon that line for something else?

[/ QUOTE ]

If we think villain would often bet both streets with a worse hand, check-calling both and getting to showdown is fine.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:27 PM

there wasn't really any hard and true reasoning to capping hand 1, but in my experience, if the person that "didn't" cap it preflop bets the flop, he has a very premium hand.
as for hand 2, i should have folded the turn, but folded the river after the straight draw was completed.
and hand 3, i checked the turn cuz i liked it, if i was ahead, i still was, if not, i wasn't, and i felt that i was. so i donked the river because it seemed pretty obvious i had an ace and didn't want a lower pair checking thru.