Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Are you more intelligent than Leonardo da Vinci?

"I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men."

This quote has long been attributed to da Vinci, although it has since been shown to be an error but his views on animals are very similar. In The Mind of Leonardo da Vinci, Edward MacCurdy wrote: "…The mere idea of permitting the existence of unnecessary suffering, still more that of taking life, was abhorrent to him. Vasari tells, as an instance of his love of animals, how when in Florence he passed places where birds were sold he would frequently take them from their cages with his own hand, and having paid the sellers the price that was asked would let them fly away in the air, thus giving them back their liberty.

That this horror of inflicting pain was such as to lead him to be a vegetarian is to be inferred from a reference which occurs in a letter sent by Andrea Corsali to Giuliano de’Medici, in which, after telling him of an Indian race called Gujerats, who neither eat anything that contains blood nor permit any injury to any living creature, he adds ‘like our Leonardo da Vinci.’ "

On a similar note, a comedian I was listening to last week mentioned that Einstein had been divorced. He suggested that wedding vows should be changed in the future to reflect Einsein's failure in marriage. Instead of "Do you take....", it should be "Do you think you're smarter than Einstein?".

I guess you had to be there.....
Old 11-05-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Are you more intelligent than Leonardo da Vinci?

I wouldn't have a problem with being vegetarian if animals weren't made out of meat.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:17 PM

Leonardo da Vinci > purnell.

I abstained from eating flesh (lots of milk and egg though) for a little over two years. I believed I was trying to be compassionate. Toward the end of that time I started thinking that it didn't really matter, that life was cyclical, so animals would eventually be eating me.
[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men.

[/ QUOTE ] That they are both OK?
Old 11-05-2005, 02:47 PM

And it's rumored that he was either asexual or gay. Should we follow these lifestyles too because he was so friggin' smart? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2005, 03:59 PM

The average gay person, in my experience, is smarter than the average straight person ^_^
Old 11-05-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And it's rumored that he was either asexual or gay. Should we follow these lifestyles too because he was so friggin' smart? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you dismiss his intelligence because he may have been gay or asexual?
Old 11-05-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I abstained from eating flesh (lots of milk and egg though) for a little over two years. I believed I was trying to be compassionate. Toward the end of that time I started thinking that it didn't really matter, that life was cyclical, so animals would eventually be eating me.
[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should kill your neighbor before he kills you!
Old 11-05-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The average gay person, in my experience, is smarter than the average straight person ^_^

[/ QUOTE ]

not that it really matters, but I think you just outed yourself.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true then maybe David is on to something regarding Religion getting in the way. If gays are smarter then it is because women divert out attention. We could be smarter but get distracted. That is basically what David says about Religion.

Might be a new method for David to pursue in his quest to conquer Religion.