Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Getting COMPLETELY and UTTERLY destroyed...

... and it's not even close. Yeah - it's only 5k hands - short term variance - etc... but not this bad. There's no way this is just "bad luck." I'm doing something wrong here. I'm 100% sure that my AF is too high, but I'm also 100% sure that's not the only thing I'm doing wrong (and I'm 100% sure I don't know how to fix that either).

I don't know why my AF is so high. I've been folding to turn raises from passive/straightforward players unless I have better than top pair or a draw with odds... I've been trying to avoid excessively bluffing in multiway pots... etc... but my AF is still up there.

I put in over 200 hours of play at $3/$6 and $5/$10 to build up the BR to get up here and I want to succeed in it, but I don't want to do it at the risk of going broke. If I'm running insanely bad that's one thing, but if I need to drop back to $5/$10 to figure things out I can accept that.

Thanks to rakeback I do still have 250BBs for $10/$20 on top of this 265BB downswing, so I could tough it out in $10/$20 for another 100BB and then drop back with 300BBs for $5/$10 if it comes to that.

Stats below... suggestions please. Be as harsh as you wish. You can't possibly say anything worse than I've said to myself already:

Old 09-02-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Re: Getting COMPLETELY and UTTERLY destroyed...

From what I've heard (I've never played 10/20), but there is a lot more raising and semibluffing with less than top pair at that game.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there is a lot more raising and semibluffing with less than top pair at that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read that before several times, but in the ~10k hands or so prior to this downswing, whenever I'd call down after a turn raise I'd expect to lose - and did most of the time... at least that is what stands out in memory.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:56 PM

You don't have to win a majority of the time for it to be profitable, but I'm sure you know that. Good luck with this - the only other things I see in your stats are maybe defend the BB more often and maybe play a few more hands? I'm really not qualified to help that much.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:56 PM

You fold too much. WtSD of 32 in combination with 21 vpip means you're letting them run over you.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:02 AM

I haven't played 10/20, but my impression acorss all previous levels is that outrageous AFs (and yours is nutso) are generally produced by folding too much instead of betting / raising too much.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:03 AM

Your AF is way off the charts. Try to get it down to 2, don't play raise or fold poker as much and try to call down more
Old 09-03-2005, 12:03 AM

You're folding your blinds too much and you're getting run over postflop.

Rob
Old 09-03-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You fold too much. WtSD of 32 in combination with 21 vpip means you're letting them run over you.

[/ QUOTE ]

AF is calculated as (Bet + Raise) / Call... perhaps my incorrect tendency to fold when I should call down is artificially increasing my aggro factor? In my overall $5/$10 stats I'm calling the river almost twice as much as I am now and my AF is significantly lower... [censored], I may be folding tons of hands that would have ended up being winners.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:07 AM

Folded to river bet: 58.

That is a serious, fundamental, basic problem.
Wow, I havent seen it that high in so long...its just scary.