Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 11:29 AM

Default JJ flop and beyond

20/40 on party

utg openraies. utg+1 3-bets. you cap with black jacks on the button. 3 ways for 13.5 small bets.

flop comes out rags all clubs. checked to you and you bet. utg checkraises. utg+1 3-bets.

what is your plan for the rest of this hand?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: JJ flop and beyond

Yikes. I'm pulled in two directions here.

1. Just fold, certainly feels like we're behind. Jc may be good for a flush draw but it could be an expensive draw to a 2nd best hand. Even when JJ is ahead there are a lot of overcards against us, and any club could screw us over.

2. If we want to continue in the hand, I think we should cap the flop in hopes of taking a free card on the turn if the turn is not beneficial.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:40 AM

Hard one, but I think I would do a crying fold here. Smells like u are up against at least one higher overpair and a higher club draw.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:49 AM

I would fold when it's 3-bet back to me if these are good players.

I also don't like the PF cap.

- Jim
Old 10-24-2005, 11:57 AM

No reads so I gather you're not playing against morons here.
19.5sb in the pot and you have to put two more in. You have position on your opponents. The question is are they willing to raise and reraise on a draw? The Turn card is going to dramatically affect your hand. With this much action it seems a given that someone is holding a high club, so your flush outs are most probably tainted.
I peel and see what comes on the Turn. If a club drops and there's a bet and a raise to me then I'm gone. If a none club drops I'm calling down. If I'm against overcards or a lower pocket then I want them to keep betting to the river. If I'm against a higher pocket pair then I lose the least possible.
This is a very tricky situation though, as you're combining the fact that there was a lot of aggression preflop with a same suit flop. The fact that you made it four bets preflop seems to indicate that you don't have much respect for your opponents preflop raising standards.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:59 AM

Pot is big and all, but I fear one or two overpairs. We have flush draw, but its often not good or will get us into trouble. Just fold?
Old 10-24-2005, 12:01 PM

Actually something I just noticed that leads me fully towards a fold on the flop.

You capped pre-flop and your opponents c/r and 3-bet into you on the flop. They don't seemed too concerned about your hand so I'd expect you to be up against QQ+ and quite likely the Ac more often than not.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:11 PM

UTG's play seems like a range we beat - why would he be trying to knock UTG+1 out if he were holding AA/KK? I think his most likely holdings are QQ/Ax/TT/99.

UTG+1's play is a little more concerning. He could very well hold a monster here, check/raising both players. A weaker hand I think would check/fold or bet into the preflop capper (if he thought we'd raise with overcards) to try and knock out the third player.

I would consider calling to see what UTG thinks of his hand, but then it seems like there's a reasonable chance we'll be faced with 2 cold on the turn by hands which don't necessarily beat us so I don't think this would be a good idea.

So I think it's cap or fold. A cap may overrepresent our hand and may even fold UTG's QQ.

If we cap I think we need to consider folding the turn if bet into as the pot isn't quite large enough to chase a set (even with implied odds) and we've shown a lot of strength at this point.

I also think this might be one of the only situations I would consider folding JJ preflop without reads on UTG/UTG+1.

Edit: Missed the monotone flop, thought it said all rags not all clubs so most of this is inaccurate.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:30 PM

The likelihood that we are behind and drawing to 1 out or less is so high here that I think we can fold here.

Very, very often at least one of the two check-raising hands is a bigger overpair, often with a big free-roll. Our [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is good here only a small percentage of the time given the rest of the action.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:48 PM

I think you need to fold this. You capped it preflop and it doesn't appear as if either of these two guys are giving you any respect. This makes me think that at least one of them can beat your jacks. I think this could very easily shape up to be a very expensive hand for you to showdown second best. BTW, why did you cap pf? I think arguements can be made for all three options, just curious as to you're thinking.