Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2003, 10:54 AM

Default Newbie advise to other newbies

I havent been playing very long maybe 6 months. I experienced the ups and downs that we all do, but I took 3 weeks away from actual play and just studied the game. I read books, this forum, watched and re watched the wsop and wpt (i taped them all), I would also go to some of the larger sites and just observe the games, always taking notes for future use. I started back playing 2 weeks ago and I have seen a major increase in my quality of play. I have stated to win and win on a regular basis. I am not saying my studies have made me a pro, however sometimes taking a step back from the action and simply observing and soaking in as much knowledge as you can, will make all the difference in the world [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2003, 11:12 AM

Default good point

when I take some time away from the game, I usually return to good results.

Good post [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

~MG~
Old 09-18-2003, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Newbie advise to other newbies

this is a good post and drives home an important point, but i'd like to caution you that play in the WSOP and WPT is very different from what you should be doing in most online games. in fact, those who like to copy what they see on TV are some of the biggest losers online right now. make sure you don't fall into this habit.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:11 PM

I agree alot of what happens on tv isnt applicable online, however, one can never have too much knowledge, I use the wsop and wpt more as a motivational tool, its great to see that young new players similar to myself can hang with the legends, the fact that chris moneymaker can win the wsop gives me hope. And if I wish to reach those levels one day I need to learn as much as I can from all available resources. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2003, 09:16 AM

Taking a break from constant online play has also given me better than average results. I think its easy to get stuck trying to play a particular way ( tight agressive ) and not have enough variation in your game. Reading a new book, watching others play, etc. gives you new variations to try in your game
Old 10-03-2003, 12:58 PM

Good advice. I had a similar experience this summer. Took a break, reassessed my game and did some reading. I came back with a new attitude and plugged some leaks.