Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 12:01 PM

Default How much $ per day for you to turn pro?

I am curious to see what type of responses everyone gives here.

What amount of money would you need to average per day playing poker to quit your regular job and become an online poker pro.
By quitting your job you will be losing health benefits and the office enviornment where you have social interaction. At the same time you will no longer have deadlines or have to commute to work.

Is it $150 a day? $250 a day? $1K a day?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: How much $ per day for you to turn pro?

For someone who have a decent paying job I think It would be about 500$ / day, five hours par day. Below that I think you are better part time if you dont hate your job.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:19 PM

I suppose it depends, if your 21 and never had a job 100 a day feels great. Alot better then your friends working at costco.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:01 PM

Costco hot dogs rule, tho. I love sour kraut!
Old 12-07-2005, 08:29 AM

Kinda off topic but anybody here a teacher full time and with their summers off play poker? I've thought about taking this routeand it has always seemed very appealing to me, because you have the benift of the full time job+benefits, but still are able to play poker 3-4 months a year
Old 12-07-2005, 11:18 AM

Guys, I'm 21 with zero expenses. I've been playing a year online, and I am a consistent winner. The past few months I have been making around $15-20/hr, and that figure has been increasing steadily. I have friends who live on their own who go out frequently, spend all their spare $$ on booze, etc, and they live off minimum wage ($7.45CDN)!!

Am I stupid to think I can move out and live off online poker? I play 3/6. My rent + food + expenses should only come out to 700-900 / month, if I live cheap. I plan on moving out in February with about 6-7K for startup (bankroll, rent, food, new computer). All comments appreciated
Old 11-30-2005, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose it depends, if your 21 and never had a job 100 a day feels great. Alot better then your friends working at costco.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 21 too, but 100/day is not even close to 'feel great'. To go pro I think I'd want to do 200/day.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:41 PM

$500/day x 200 days/yr = $100,000

I think for many people that estimate would be very high(unless you are talking canadian$). According to the US census Bureau , the mean household income in the US for 2000 was only $56,604 with employed males median salary being only $27K. Which means there's a lot of people out there living on very little....
Old 11-29-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think for many people that estimate would be very high(unless you are talking canadian$). According to the US census Bureau , the mean household income in the US for 2000 was only $56,604 with employed males median salary being only $27K. Which means there's a lot of people out there living on very little....

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about quitting a decent paying job, in my definition its a job who pay about 50k per year. I need at least to make double of that to quit and turn pro.

A lot of people who turn pro say its a grind and all. Its true if you quit your job when you are making 30 $ per hour playing poker. Then you have to play a lot of hours and you have a difficult time to grow a bankroll and some savings.

When you are making 100 $ / hour and more, poker is no more that much of a grind, but a way to make a lot of money, save and invest. You dont have to play 35 hours per week to pay your bills. Also, it usually mean that you have a big bankroll who can confort you for the bad months or to take some vacations.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about quitting a decent paying job, in my definition its a job who pay about 50k per year. I need at least to make double of that to quit and turn pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm saying - most people are not making over $50k yr in their jobs. But what you say about making MORE per hour playing poker than at your job is very good advice!