Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 06:24 AM

Default Re: Jacks early....good line or played like a weak tight toddler

[ QUOTE ]
I like the postflop play!

However I would have raised PF here. If I had JJ in middle-late pos I would have mixed up my play with about 80/20 raises/calls. Would probably be about 20/80 limps/raises from early position though. Probably near 100% raises on the button when opening the pot though, depending on the lpayer. But since you lack a read, you should raise here in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike, you should stick to one. Mixing it up is when your opponents make attention to you. At the 10+1s, no one pays attention to anything. Randomly mixing it up for no good reason is stupid. IE, you should never be limping QQ upwards at the 10+1s, or for that matter, at the 50+5s. Harrington's advice holds for a different sort of game (I assume this is where you got the 80/20 thing). This is generalizing it a bit, but this advice holds true for 95% of low limit SNGs
Old 08-13-2005, 10:24 AM

While I appreciate you trying to be nice, don't bother. I agree with you completely, and need to be berated. It felt like a weak move (and the wrong one, which is why I posted it) to limp jacks, esp. on the button. My concern was at a 10+1 almost any A or K was coming along for a modest raise, and stealing 25 in blinds hardly seemed worth it. I see raising to T50 or so as getting rid of the Q3 but not the A3.....which leaves me in the same position. And after reading what I wrote I realize it actually leaves me in a much better position since it gets rid of about 3/4 of the overcards (Qx, most Kx, some Ax).

Anyway, the concensus is raise....
Thanks for the input.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:59 AM

Why on earth are you limping on the button and giving the blinds a free shot at beating your JJ with their Q2o or K5o? Raise preflop!!!!!!!!!!