Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-27-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: The NBA Standings Look Ridiculous

My two cents, coming from a Pistons fan:

These are the teams that worry me the most about the upcoming postseason (regardless of conferece):

1. San Antonio- this should be self-explanatory
2. Miami- HOF Coach, GoaT Center, tons of talent and the management to coddle and massage those egos
3. Indiana- Played us tough last year without Ronnie and JO being injured. Jasikivicius is the real deal, and anyone they get from trading Artest(icles) is just a bonus. Defense wins championships, and this is a hard-nosed team that is great at grinding games out.
4. Dallas- always plays D-town tough. My only concern is regarding their killer instinct. They just need time to play together and gel. Maybe a year or two away from a title, but they could make the leap this postseason.
5. Cleveland- LeBron is going to put it ALL together within a few years... when that happens, watch out!

My $.02.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:13 PM

As a die hard Rockets fan obviously I am not pleased with their 10-15 record. We have had probably 6 guys off our roster due to injury. But hey, that happenes to every team. I am hoping come after the all star break when we get all our players back we can sneak in for final playoff spot. Hard to say, because with the upsurgence of Golden St, Clippers, and Seattle, it will be tough.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't really matter what seed Dallas has, they can't stop anybody, and will crash and burn in the playoffs like they do every season no matter what seed they have. That team is a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

13th in the league in defensive efficiency (points allow/100 posessions) seems okay to me. Especially when Detroit is, oh, 10th...
Old 12-27-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't really matter what seed Dallas has, they can't stop anybody, and will crash and burn in the playoffs like they do every season no matter what seed they have. That team is a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]
you obviously don't watch basketball, this is basically a different team than previous years and though san antonio is the best team dallas is definately not a joke and by far the second best team (not too far behind SA) and can stop anyone but apparently kobe.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4. Dallas- always plays D-town tough. My only concern is regarding their killer instinct. They just need time to play together and gel. Maybe a year or two away from a title, but they could make the leap this postseason.

[/ QUOTE ]
i agree with this, especially the "being two years away part." i will say though that this year they seem to at least have some killer instinct out there.

my favorite moment this year (and i have seen just about every mavs game) actually came from teh game that kobe scored 62 in 3 quarters (which outscored the entire mavs team). it was early in the third and kobe drove the land and josh howard clothes-lined him across the face and when kobe popped up pointing his finger in his face howard just swatted his hand out of the way and smiled at him as if to say, "[censored] you, you may be unstoppable tonight but i am going to get mine!" previous years kobe would have left the game w/o a bruise, now it seems there are less and less free baskets, players are getting taken to the floor. its becoming a fun team to watch.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i disagree.

avery is tailoring dallas' team solely for SA, they are starting to play the way they do. phoenix will have to play some sort of half court game and defense in the playoffs to beat dallas or SA.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem the mavs have is the players Phoenix had that owned them last year are still there. They had no answer for Nash, Marion, Stoudemire they all went crazy. Joe Johnson missed most of the series and Q Rich almost disappeared anyway so given the depth they will be better against the mavs as well. Sure they may play better defense, but they were playing better defense last last year too, and when they got to Phoenix they just couldn't slow them down at all.

They may be playing better defense, but they just dont have the personal to defend any of those 3 players.

As for the spurs it was just Stoudemire and Nash that consistently owned them, but still all those games were so close. The problem was the suns couldnt slow down anyone at all, including the full bench. This year though they will be able to slow down some of those roleplayers and have a very good chance to take the series. Of course it will help the Spurs will have to deal with the mavs this time around, and the Suns can run through whatever the garbage 3 seed is.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:34 PM

phoenix is a pretty good defensive team, it's just that they play such a fast-paced game that the other team gets many chances to score.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They may be playing better defense, but they just dont have the personal to defend any of those 3 players.

[/ QUOTE ]
wrong, they didn't have the personnel to play the running game with phoenix. you slow the pace, like the mavs are doing this year, developing more of a half-court game but still with some explosiveness and the suns are vulnerable.

there is a reason donny nelson couldn't ever win anything big no matter how good his team was, i loved watching his teams, they were exciting but you can't win the way he played. avery is molding the mavs into a team that can play a well balanced game and the suns simply can't do anything with that. it wasn't personnel that beat the mavs last year it was the fact that the suns could expose anyone in a fast court game and that was all the mavs knew how to do(b/c of don nelson's style), so of course they were exposed.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

wrong, they didn't have the personnel to play the running game with phoenix. you slow the pace, like the mavs are doing this year, developing more of a half-court game but still with some explosiveness and the suns are vulnerable.

there is a reason donny nelson couldn't ever win anything big no matter how good his team was, i loved watching his teams, they were exciting but you can't win the way he played. avery is molding the mavs into a team that can play a well balanced game and the suns simply can't do anything with that. it wasn't personnel that beat the mavs last year it was the fact that the suns could expose anyone in a fast court game and that was all the mavs knew how to do(b/c of don nelson's style), so of course they were exposed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not that simple man. You cant just slow them down. The only way to is to shoot a very high percentage, or getting to the free throw line constantly. Those would be the things that take the suns out of their game. The mavs dont have that post player that can constantly get to the line, and your not always gonna shoot that high a percentage. In fact, the Spurs didnt beat the Suns by slowing them down, on 3-4 of the games they actually got caught up in the same pace. The thing is they had like 6 players constantly draining 3 after 3 when the Suns tried to double Duncan, this will change this year though.

And about the half court. The mavs couldnt defend Nash in the pick and roll, and none of the mavs can handle Stoudemire off the dribble in the low block. Thats how the suns closed out those games in last years series, since usually in the playoffs it becomes a half court game late.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:17 PM

i am actually holding todays sports page from the dallas morning news where our lead columnist is apologizing for saying they didn't have any center play and haven't added any speed this year (a comment he made earlier in the season bashing them).

the article talks about how their increase in rebounds and block shots this year has been a key element as well as the overall team speed with the emergence of devin harris to complement jason terry. i actually think the mavs do have the big game to clog up the post b/c its what they have been doing for 28 games so far and its why they are tied for first in the west with san antonio (this is also one of san antonio's greatest starts in the history of their franchise FWIW). i guess you haven't really been paying attention b/c the mavs win games in a completely different way then they have in a very long time, if ever. we don't see those 128-125 shootouts too much anymore, and its a very good sign that they are where they are right now with the new style of play.

of course anything can happen over the course of an 82 game season, i know that...but i also know that the mavs are only getting better and that is not good for the suns. i still don't know what they would do in a 7 game set against the postseason veteran team like the spurs but to call the mavs a joke is well uh a joke.