Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 12-15-2005, 06:37 AM

Default Re: My Amazon review of Kill Phil

Binions, thanks for the review. I bought the book and I agree with you, it's certainly an interesting read.

One question. You say you've applied this with success to SNG tourneys. At what level do you start using the KP strategy? It seems to me that moving in (without a premium hand during the first few levels when the stacks are SO large is unecessary. How have you been playing these yourself?

Thanks
Old 12-15-2005, 12:43 PM

IIRC, they suggest playing a SnG using the final table strategy.

So basically wait untill 3-4 people are knocked out then start moving in.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:12 AM

Thanks for your reply GG. Yes, I know they suggest this, but until the game becomes 6-handed they say you should follow the basic strategy. For online play they suggest (for example) moving in from either blind with groups 1-5 in an unraised pot with a big or huge stack. So if someone limps to me and I have AQ in the SB, I'm supposed to go all-in. This seems unecessary so early in the tourney when the blinds are small relative to the stacks.

I've just been playing my normal game until I drop into medium stack territory. I was just wondering how other people using the KP system have approached it.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:37 PM

I read it too with much specualtion. Great book! I have just started using it on SNGs and the style is fun and and very frustrating for the other players. I haven't played it enough too give any sample size but i like what i see so far. And yes i have read all the other before mentioned books, and i am not comparing it too any of them. I believe it too be well worth the money..
Old 12-20-2005, 04:08 PM

Anyone know the best place in Canada to get this book?
Old 12-20-2005, 04:32 PM

link
Old 12-20-2005, 09:49 PM

Would a KP SNG strategy work well even if the stacks are fairly big (i.e. Stars)?
Old 12-21-2005, 04:57 AM

The book is certainly very interesting, but people should be aware that this strategy leads to lots of coin-flips where you are the underdog. You will be "in position" to get lucky, nothing more, nothing less. It is certainly difficult to beat the all-in strategy, but it is just as difficult for the all-in guy to survive all the time.

The authors state that in order to win a tournament you need to double up something like seven times. This makes me wonder, because I could go and play roulette as well. I put my money on black seven times in a row and look what happens.

Anyways, I will give KP a shot in our local tournament [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 10:30 AM

Considering the absolute nonsense pumped out by the non-2+2 publishers out there, books like "Kill Phil" -- along with King Yao's and Barry Greenstein's -- are the best of that very sorted bunch.

Well-worth the time and the money, unlike a vast majority of what the non-2+2 world has to offer pokerdom.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 12-26-2005, 12:00 PM

If you are new to tournament play, what order would you recommend reading these books in?

[ QUOTE ]
"Kill Phil joins the Harrington books, David Sklansky's Tournament Poker for Advanced Players, Barry Greenstein's Ace on the River, Phil Gordon's Little Green Book and Howard Lederer's More Secrets of NLHE DVD as the best resources available on NLHE tourneys."

[/ QUOTE ]