Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: HOLY [censored] is my avatar even a girl????
I sure hope not 117 79.59%
no 30 20.41%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2005, 06:24 AM

Default Has your opinion about the Iraq war changed?

For those of you that had an opinion about the war 2 years ago and have an opinion now
Old 06-08-2005, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Has your opinion about the Iraq war changed?

I don't think we'll see too many "changed my mind" votes.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:55 AM

How can anyone not be for getting rid of a guy like Saddam?

Yeah it sucks to have American kids die in any land, but the price we pay today is far less than in the future if we had let that psycho stay in power funding terrorist all over the world, not to mention the torturing of his own people.

How can a country as powerful as the US sit by while millions of people are terrorized and tortured and being killed? We should be doing more in many other countries, ie Rawanda and the like.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah it sucks to have American kids die in any land, but the price we pay today is far less than in the future if we had let that psycho stay in power funding terrorist all over the world, not to mention the torturing of his own people.

How can a country as powerful as the US sit by while millions of people are terrorized and tortured and being killed? We should be doing more in many other countries, ie Rawanda and the like.

[/ QUOTE ]

good job you naive swine...your breading another generation of complete idiots...i salute you and hope that you bring pseudo-democracy to the world like you´ve been doing for the last 50 years. Link
Old 06-13-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to say that Saddam was a good guy or anything, but he did have the only stable secular government in the Middle East, and I think that having him in power was better for the US than the power vacuum that's there right now.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...as opposed to torturing them ourselves?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the alternative (chaos, religious war, the loss of our international standing, the exposure of the limits of our military, ultimately the potential loss of our hegemony, rampant terrorism, murder, torture, starvation, the death of children in the crossfire, lack of even the most basic services for iraqi citizens, the waste of 200,000,000,000+ dollars (at least), and, oh yeah, 1700 dead americans and 25k wounded) is a lot worse.

I was against the war for these reasons. When i went to the fedral building to protest, even the residents of good 'ol liberal seattle were looking at me sideways. I feel like my pre-war predictions have been vindicated, much to my dismay. This war is an abomination on par with the veitnam debacle (it is a difference of degree, not of kind), and we are stuck there for the forseeable future.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:57 AM

Situations change. Iraq needed at the very least, better post-war planning going in, and this was obvious.

At the same time, now that we are there, it's a huge mistake to back down now, especially doing the most +EV work there.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
especially doing the most +EV work there

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is what we are doing there positive EV for anybody? Not clear to me at all. In fact, it is negative EV for us anyway when compared to an orderly (quick) withdrawal and handing over running the governing or occupying or policing -- what exactly are we doing there? -- to some other incompetent body (likely no worse than what we are doing, at least we dont get the blame or the bill).
Old 06-14-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think we'll see too many "changed my mind" votes.

[/ QUOTE ]I did, although my stance now wasn't really listed persee.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:54 AM

In hindsight we shoulda went into Iran instead.

Stu