Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 01:59 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Why Poker?

it used to be sim fantasy sports leagues for me. I'd dominate pretty much every league I was in and I was in a lot of them. I liked the competition and there's a lot of strategy to the sim leagues. I kidn of grew out of those. one year I built a stacked team and picked up Coors Field and Barry Bonds hit 102 homers. good times.

but I just need the competition and the strategy, and I felt like from the minute I started playing that I had a head for it. my friend was decent and we'd play dealer's choice and he'd help us with some basic strategy and I was picking everything up really fast. so I was obsessed from the start.

but I tend to agree with Jeff. ego fucks everything up
Old 07-09-2005, 04:49 PM

Sadly, I only play because it pays my bills, and keeps me from having to work some crappy job (i.e. anything with a schedule and somone to answer to). When I first started playing I actually enjoyed it, it was competitive, you had to use your brain, and it was a game. 3 things I love. Somewhere along the way I lost that "fire" and honestly I don't think I've enjoyed playing poker for a while now, which I think has contributed to my horrible running as of late, I'm just not playing my best game, because I just don't care that much anymore.

When I get back from the WSOP (which is looking very much like it will be sunday, since I finished day one really short stacked) I think I'm gunna take a couple days and figure out if I can get that love back.

Im in the biggest poker event in the world, and I have had zero fun. Thats not the way it should be. I got on 2+2 from my hotel to check my PMs and saw this post and just realized all this.

Good post Rory
Old 07-09-2005, 10:48 PM

Hey man-- PM me when you get back and I'll give you a pep talk. I have the fire.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:36 PM

My reasons are two-fold:
(1) I like money.
(2) I like games.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:51 PM

I have a job to pay the bills. And I actually love my job, as its interesting, challenging, and I couldn't ask for a greater work environment (moved out of corporate America to a startup, its awesome). That being said, I still play poker for the money. I guess I also really like the challenge of trying to beat the games, for which money is only a scorecard, but the best part about beating the games is that I can then move up. And the best part of moving up is that I can then make more money. So.