Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-29-2005, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Curtains made me do it! #2

[ QUOTE ]
LOL, my standard play is to fold here. You gonna teach us n00bs something?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-29-2005, 06:43 AM

I beleive I made some normal raise to like 1000-1100. My opponent wasnt going to pull some move on me if the SB folded (they seemed tight and unimaginative) and I felt they would lean towards folding all but the best hands. I think that pushing would be a bit foolhardy against this opponent, as I can safely count on a strong hand if they reraise me. The SB was completely out of his mind but I only found that out a bit later.

Of course folding is reasonable as well, I just felt that it was a clear +EV steal situation. Even if Im called by the SB its no problem, because of the dead 400 from the BB.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:46 AM

My standard play at the 15+1 is to push and I am called with amzing hands like T7o. Probably I shouldn't do this in the low buy ins. In the medium buy ins I would push this every day. The calling range at the high buy ins could be like 30% ? Still a push, isn't it?
Old 12-29-2005, 06:47 AM

I really think pushing is totally unneccessary against most opponents.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:48 AM

I like your line. For me, to correctly apply it, I must learn however to stick to your thought that you'll fold against resistance and not getting suddenly carried away with pot odds or something,
Old 12-29-2005, 07:51 AM

No one considering a standard raise to 1100 or so? Of course if wadnbuttAA has any idea at all he'll reraise, but very few players actually do though.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:51 AM

If they are tight and unimaginative you probably almost have the same FE as a push, only now you can fold when they reraise all-in, because then they'd really have a hand.

And if the other big stack is just a little loose pushing is very bad here I think.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

No one considering a standard raise to 1100 or so?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I beleive I made some normal raise to like 1000-1100.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-29-2005, 07:56 AM

Yeah i'm always too lazy to read the whole thread [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No one considering a standard raise to 1100 or so? Of course if wadnbuttAA has any idea at all he'll reraise, but very few players actually do though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to admit I have always had serious problems with this line of thinking. You feel free to randomly raise anyone who doesnt move allin when there are 3 left, but they will call you with plenty. I've learned to be more aggressive when my opponents havent acted at all, as opposed to assuming they will fold a decent/medium strength hand with 3 left, just because someone else is short.

Comments like "if he has any clue he will move allin with any 2 cards" are kind of silly to me. I would never blame someone for folding quite a decent % of hands from the BB to a standard raise. I guess I don't like the misguided implication that somehow all "good" players know that they should automatically be a bully in such situations. How many times do you need to be called by KTo before you get this idea?