Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-26-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Poker Books

I want to ask this here as it's where i've heard the books mentioned in past. But I haven't bought any poker material since SSHE was released, I'm sure people have been talking about another book, King Yao's is it, which is quite good? Also anything else I should add to the list, I'm buying a bunch of investing / stock market type books to see if it's something i'm interested in so I figured i'd lump in some poker books with the order. I'm also getting the harrington NL tourney stuff but what else do you guys think I might have missed?

Cheers.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Poker Books

Since I will assume you know all the 2+2 titles, Ill only tell you my favorite non 2+2 books, but the 2+2 books are the best IMO.

1) Real Poker 1 by Roy Cooke
2) Real Poker 11 by Roy Cooke
3) Middle limit Holdem by Bob Ciafonne
4) How good is your limit holdem by Brier & Jacobs

Also about stock market books. I have read over 100 books on business/investing, and IMO "The Warren Buffet Way" is the best book on investing out there.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:56 AM

The Master Swing Trader: Tools and Techniques to Profit from Outstanding Short-Term Trading Opportunities - Alan S. Farley; Hardcover

Trading for a Living: Psychology, Trading Tactics, Money Management - Alexander Elder; Hardcover

The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need (Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need) - Andrew Tobias; Paperback

Rich Dad, Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money--That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not! - Robert T. Kiyosaki; Paperback

The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book On Value Investing, Revised Edition - Benjamin Graham; Paperback

One Up On Wall Street : How To Use What You Already Know To Make Money In The Market - Peter Lynch; Paperback

Any glaring ommissions, I really think I need books at first just about financial management, etc, but i'm putting in a big order so I might as well get a lot of reading material at once.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:04 AM

Real Poker 2 is very good. I also liked How Good is your Limit Holdem. I honestly wouldn't really get middle limit holdem. The thinking behind each example is deep and solid, but the game conditions Ciaffone describes are much different then the games you play. Specifically, the book is based on games with tighter and more solid players.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Real Poker 2 is very good. I also liked How Good is your Limit Holdem. I honestly wouldn't really get middle limit holdem. The thinking behind each example is deep and solid, but the game conditions Ciaffone describes are much different then the games you play. Specifically, the book is based on games with tighter and more solid players.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with you that there are many weak tight strategies in "Middle Limit holdem" but if one is smart enough to just ignore those parts in the book, then the book becomes one of the best out there IMO
Old 12-26-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Master Swing Trader: Tools and Techniques to Profit from Outstanding Short-Term Trading Opportunities - Alan S. Farley; Hardcover

Trading for a Living: Psychology, Trading Tactics, Money Management - Alexander Elder; Hardcover

The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need (Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need) - Andrew Tobias; Paperback

Rich Dad, Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money--That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not! - Robert T. Kiyosaki; Paperback

The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book On Value Investing, Revised Edition - Benjamin Graham; Paperback

One Up On Wall Street : How To Use What You Already Know To Make Money In The Market - Peter Lynch; Paperback

Any glaring ommissions, I really think I need books at first just about financial management, etc, but i'm putting in a big order so I might as well get a lot of reading material at once.

[/ QUOTE ]
Warning: Dogmatic opinion about to be stated

The first 4 investing books you mentioned are only good if you run out of toilet paper. The last two books you mentioned, "The intelligent Investor" and "One up on Wallstreet" are more like it, these are the books that will put you on the right track to investment success.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd stay away from trading oriented books at first as you learn about the financial markets. Trading is a zero sum game minus costs, but unlike poker you compete on a worldwide playing field against the best in the business every day and they are armed to the teeth with the best computers, programs and education money can buy. Tough for the little guy to compete. Better to invest for the long term and let the growth of the world's economy work for you.

The two best general finacial management/market books I can recommend are:

<u>The Four Pillars of Investing</u> by William Bernstein Link

<u>Common Sense on Mutual Funds</u> by John Bogle Link

If you have an uncontrollable desire to invest in individual stocks, then emulating Buffett's methodology as mentioned previously is probably the best route you can go, IMO. But unless you love it and want to spend huge amounts of time, better to get a diversified portfolio of low cost funds working for you and spend your time on stuff you enjoy.

B.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you that there are many weak tight strategies in "Middle Limit holdem" but if one is smart enough to just ignore those parts in the book, then the book becomes one of the best out there IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, his introduction to each subject is really good (some of it from "Improve Your Poker") and if one just remember that his advice sometimes is a bit on the weak/tight side (or the player we paly against are more LAG) its no problem.

Real Poker II is really good. But isnt it the strategy articles from Real Poker I? There is nothing new in Real Poker II but also nothing missing when it comes to strategy-articles? Or am I wrong?
Old 12-27-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, his introduction to each subject is really good (some of it from "Improve Your Poker") and if one just remember that his advice sometimes is a bit on the weak/tight side (or the player we paly against are more LAG) its no problem.

Real Poker II is really good. But isnt it the strategy articles from Real Poker I? There is nothing new in Real Poker II but also nothing missing when it comes to strategy-articles? Or am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

advice in mlhe is not really weak tight given the player descriptions. however, we rarely encounter those types of players in online games. go to vegas and it will make a lot more sense.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:36 PM

Im sure u are right but I think there is a problem if we follow him to cloesly and are playing SH against observant players. They will start to raise in some tricky situations and make us fold.

As Malmuth said in his review (which I think is a bit to hard, I do like the book):

[ QUOTE ]
Put another way, if you are unknown to your opponents and play like they describe, you will probably have no difficulty. But as you become known, some of your opponents should begin to exploit this flaw, and your ability to win should begin to fall off. In fact, if and when I feel someone plays as the authors describe, I’ll work an extra bet or raise in every now and then. If enough people begin to do this, and this should eventually happen to a regular player, some pots that should be yours will be taken away from you, and your overall results should deteriorate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reviews are here:

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/show...part=all&amp;vc