Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Do I need more than 1GB of RAM?

I'm running XP Home, Pokertracker, McAfee Internet Security Suite and Firefox during a typical session. I've been having some slowdowns with PT lately so I checked out my system resources and discovered that I only have 512MB or RAM. I thought I had 1GB. I'm looking to upgrade (probably from Crucial) and my system requires installation in banks of 2. I need help deciding between 512 (256x2) or 1GB (512x2) of additional RAM. The price difference is about $60, so I'd like your input.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Do I need more than 1GB of RAM?

I do not suspect that shortage of RAM is the issue. One way to find out is see if the if your computer constantly driving access the hard-drive to use the swap file. This happens if the physical memory has been exausted and it needs to use the virtual memory (swap file). You will be able to get that info by looking at the task manager.

In regards to whther to get two 256 or 512, If you computer is new and you plan on using it for sometime to come, it may be worth it to get the 512X2. On the other hand, from the way you say how you mostly use your computer, I don't see why you would need anymore RAM at all.

SamJack
Old 12-15-2005, 12:44 PM

depending on the processor speed, speed/size of the harddrive, you may need more ram. The golden rule is that you can never had TOO much ram. I would try some things before upgrading, namily doing a few maintenance things, run a virus scan, spyware scan, clean disk, defrag, etc.

Ram is relatively cheap and if you plan on keeping the computer for a while then spring for the 1gig.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
depending on the processor speed, speed/size of the harddrive, you may need more ram. The golden rule is that you can never had TOO much ram. I would try some things before upgrading, namily doing a few maintenance things, run a virus scan, spyware scan, clean disk, defrag, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

All these are very good to do. You also just might have a lot of .exe's running on your machine taking up all your CPU usage.

There is a great tool called Process Explorer. Its just like when you go into your task manager and see all your .exe running under the process tab. This program digs a little deeper and tells you exactly what each .exe running on your machine, including the ones start automatically start on booting windows. You be surprised how many unwanted .exe can run hiddenly without you ever knowing.