Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-14-2005, 02:22 PM

Default I\'m a LAG is that ok?

I'm experimenting with a hyper aggressive style. Below are the details tell me your opinion. 1. Raise with any 2 from cut off or button as long as there is no raise and there are only 1 or 2 Limpers. Fold to anyone who plays back at me. 2. Fire at any pot that I was the initial raiser on If no one else has or they make weak "flush draw" bets. Sometimes I bet pot sometimes 1/2 pot. Fold to anyone who plays back at me.Unless of course I hit the flop & think I have the best hand 3. If villan smooth calls small bets on flop fire again on 3rd street. Assuming no draws get completed. 4. If villan smooth calls any large bets pot or more on any street,. I'm done with the hand. 5. If I have any Flush draw or oesd I will bet or reraise bets to me ( I feel like this conceals my draw should I hit. 6. On occassion when in position put villan to huge decisions whenever he is acting weak - unless I have a read that he is strong and is baiting the trap. 7. Bet Big hands (high PP,set, or better) exactly as above. I seem to get paid off bigger on these. 8. Avoid big stacks, mutitablers who seem to be avg or better than avg, and short stacks who buy in short and play everyhand all in All of this is done at .10/.25 NL & .25/.50 NL. I'm doing well with the above. I normally play tight aggressive ABC. But I've only now (at low buy in) felt comfortable with this unconventional approach. I've been pretty good at avoiding being out kicked & in general knowing when I'm way behind. The swings are the biggest adjustment but I'm 4 tabling so I've usually scored big at 1 or 2 tables and it works out. How many winning players on this forum play this way or similar? What would you change? No potsized continuation bets? (This one hurts when it fails but takes it down ALOT) Ok long post. I'll wait on your flames/responses Straight Flushes, SAM
Old 12-14-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: I\'m a LAG is that ok?

OK... so far I have read #1 only. I can tell you this is wrong. LAGS are not idiots that raise any 2. They have someing like 7-9 suited, 5-4 suited, those kinds of hands. They are not gonna play 10-2 os or even suited. They might try and steal with a crap hand like 10-2 but this depends on how bad their table image is right then, they are not gonna do if they have been showing down a lot of junk. And usually when they do try and steal there are not 2 people that already put money in the pot. The object of LAG is not to put money in with crap hands. It is to put it in with hands that might make something and hands it would be hard to put someone on, while playing position. A suited 1 gapper is not a typical raising hand but it does have a chance to make something. Between maybe making something and using your position a good lag can win money with those hands. But if you start raising it with any 2 that is the first sign of a bad LAG, and yes most of them are bad.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:37 PM

I agree, and I'd like to add that you *must* play exceptionally well post-flop against opponents you have statistics or reads on. Without this, you're going to find yourself in really tricky situations and someone will run you through when you're not paying attention or decide to make a move at the wrong time.

I know this from experience [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2005, 02:49 PM

That's still not LAG play. Here's my advice and it re-interated by a lot of the high stakes players on this forum. Focus on becomming a SOLID TAG player at medium-high stakes and then contemplate mixing in LAG play. I highly doubt anyone in small stakes is a REAL effective LAG player. And the above style is not really smart LAG. Just my two cents. At micro limits like 25nl and 50nl, it's nearly pointless to even attempt smart LAG play, because smart TAG play will net you more.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:52 PM

Freak how about answering the guys question instead of giving advice he did not ask for and insulting small stakes players?
I would be interested in your answers to his questions, I am not a lag expert and dont claim to be (but do think I know enough to give advice to the average ss player), and would like for a real LAG to step in here.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:55 PM

I am also experimenting witht he hyperagressive stype. I just play 8 tables at .05-.10 to ge the feel for it and see if i can do it. I only have like 20K hands in but have had some success (8bb/100). I have to agree with these people about the any 2 play. Also I would have to say that you have to include coming overtop of someone that plays back at you on a bluff. This is way to predictable of a play. What I have noticed is when you play hyperaggressive everyone at the table notices you and some of the better players that you have stats on will play back at you when they got something but the TAG's will fold a hand a lot if you play back at them because they are usually good players and realize that it is entirely possible that you woke up with a hand.

Just to predictabel if the players know you will only call or reraise when you have a nice hand. Just my opinion, and like I said I haven't by any means been killing it playing hyperaggresive so don't take my word.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:12 PM

ok let me adjust this.. not any 2 any 2 semi-coordinated cards like 2 broadways at worst 79o sorry to confuse also.. this post made via blackberry sorry if itls ugly straight flushes, SAM
Old 12-14-2005, 04:24 PM

My response sam is that if it was suited 7-9 I would like the raise a lot better. But depending on your image it might be fine. If this is 3rd pot in a row you have raised then dont do it.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:17 PM

a good player always makes a move for a reason. If you cannot think ofa good reason then it is the wrong move. you dont decide to become an LAG. you are an LAG (in that period of time).