Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-13-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Articles about no-limit

I found this very nice collection of articles. Fairly basic, but should be useful for the aspiring SSNLer. Feel free to post your favorite online articles/sites about no-limit or poker in general.

http://www.parttimepoker.com/poker-s...llarticles.htm [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Articles about no-limit

vnh...

thanx for posting this...
Old 12-13-2005, 06:27 PM

This is a great link, Isura you truly have a gift for compiling [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 09:06 PM

Here is an article that I have some questions about, so I'd like to get others' thoughts. My trouble with this article is the way the authors talks about QQ preflop in a shorthanded game. From Isura's site:
[ QUOTE ]

A great example of why I should follow my own advice about QQ
Chris Grove

There's an article on our site regarding trap hands in no limit holdem that I should be pretty familiar with, because I wrote it. You can read it here. The relevant line from the article:

"But in any decent game, committing your stack with an unimproved QQ is a loser in the long haul."

Here's an example from the 1-2 EURO game at InterPoker [200 euro buyin], with some comments in bold. As usual, names of players have been changed to protect the innocent and / or stupid, altho I'm really the only stupid one involved here.

Game #143191593: Texas Hold'em No Limit (€1/€2) - 2004/10/18 - 00:36:58 (GMT)
Table "Gold" Seat 2 is the button.
Seat 1: ME (€165.75 in chips)
Seat 2: Shappro (€133 in chips)
Seat 3: PLAYER A (€323.50 in chips)
Seat 4: Jughead (€117.50 in chips)
Seat 5: Shaner001 (€139.50 in chips)
PLAYER A: posts small blind €1
Jughead: posts big blind €2
----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to ME [Qs Qh]
Shaner001: calls €2
ME: raises to €10
Shappro: calls €10
PLAYER A: calls €9
Jughead: folds
Shaner001: folds

Ok, generally I just limp with QQ, even in a 6 person game. If I'm raising, it's usually because the table is very weak and I've been raising a whole lot preflop or because a short stack has raised and I want to isolate with a reraise. Neither was the case here, and my just above pot size raise is also pretty useless. I really don't stand to win anything by raising - the best I'm accomplishing is building a pot in case I hit my set. Really what I've done is set a trap for myself, especially when two players basically cold call the raise.

----- FLOP ----- [6h 3s 7c]
PLAYER A: checks
ME: bets €35
Shappro: folds
PLAYER A: calls €35

Uh-oh. I bet pot on a pretty scary flop for QQ with two players in and the SB flat calls. Remember, in a lot of situations, you should be far more afraid of an out of position flat call than a raise. I don't have any problem with betting the flop hard here - a strong bet should get me the information I need about where I'm at. The mistake comes on the turn.

----- TURN ----- [6h 3s 7c][3h]
PLAYER A: bets €35
ME: raises to €100
PLAYER A: raises to €165
ME: is all-in €20.75
Returned uncalled bets € 44.25 to PLAYER A

Ok, when my opponent bets one-third of pot on the turn, I really need to think about what he's on. Remember, the board shows no flush draws on the flop, so he's not calling on that. He might've been calling on a straight draw with 89 on the flop and now is trying to see the river cheaply. He might also have a hand like 10 10 or JJ and, again, trying to get me to just call so he can see a cheap river. People tend to underbet pots for two reasons in this spot - they have a draw or a weak pair that they want to play through for low cost, or they have a monster and, especially when they're out of position to you, they can't stand the thought that you might check behind if they go for a checkraise.

The reason I'm even in the quandary, however, is because I built the pot preflop with a marginal hand. Right now I'm staring at a $35 bet into a roughly $110 pot and I have about $120 left. If I don't raise preflop and the bets proceed the same way proportionately, I'd only have about $12 invested in this pot vs $45, and my decision would be a lot easier. I wouldn't have to defend the pot.

My raise is, bottom line, a bad decision. The only hands I beat that call are 88-JJ or 67 stupidly calling with top two. Yes, you might get a random idiot who calls with A7, but realistically, I'm running behind here to trips, a straight or a boat and, most importantly, I have almost zero chance of improving. I don't mind raising when I might be running behind if I have some outs, but two just isn't going to cut it.

----- RIVER ----- [6h 3s 7c 3h][8h]
----- SHOW DOWN -----
PLAYER A: shows [7s 7h] (A Full House, Sevens full of Threes)
ME: mucks hand
ME sits out
PLAYER A collected €342.50 from Main pot
----- SUMMARY -----
Total pot €345.50 Main pot €342.50 | Rake €3
Board [6h 3s 7c 3h 8h]
Seat 2: Shappro (button) folded on the Flop
Seat 3: PLAYER A (small blind) showed [7s 7h] and won (€342.50) with A Full House, Sevens full of Threes
Seat 4: Jughead (big blind) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Shaner001 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

It turns out my opponent made a pretty darn good bet. It was very hard for me to lay down QQ for such a cheap bet, and in fact I raised - any time you can get an opponent to take the lead with the worst hand, you've done something right. He put me in a tough spot - I supposed I could've just called, although I have a feeling I would've been facing an all in call on the river anyhow. I'm just not good enough to fold in that spot, but I should be good enough to not toss all my chips in the middle. This is a great example of how just a little bit of knowledge of your opponents betting patterns can be a stack saver - if I had even a hint of what under bets meant from this particular opponent, I could've gotten away 120 euros richer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-13-2005, 09:09 PM

That is amazing. IDK, but short handed I am not/will not play QQ for set value only. That is uber-weak tight.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:13 PM

Limp QQ in the CO position at 6max? Huh? Isn't this a nearly 100% raise situation for almost anybody on almost any table against almost any players??
Old 12-14-2005, 02:40 AM

Yes i don't understand this at all. Why would he limp with QQ? And if he limps with QQ what hands will he raise with?
AA and KK? Then he gets easily readable, and that is not such a hot thing either.. Or does he also limp with those?

Ok, he limps how will he know if his hand is good or not postflop?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:21 AM

I think what he's trying to say is that it's not a hand you should get married to, since it can turn sour real quick and cost you your stack.

I've only read a couple of articles, but they seem to be really really good.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think what he's trying to say is that it's not a hand you should get married to, since it can turn sour real quick and cost you your stack.

[/ QUOTE ] I have no problem with this advice(and i wish i followed it, because i have lost my share of overpairs vs sets foolishly..), its the limp preflop that i don't like.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:26 AM

I didn't particularly like the JTo article. It seems to be that the author is expending a lot of energy trying to justify suboptimal plays in a spot where optimal play will get the job done. With such shallow stacks raising is pretty bad IMHO.

Still a good find though Isura. Thanks for posting it.