Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-28-2005, 03:48 AM

Default Re: 15/30 questions

[ QUOTE ]
This is because in those games a lot more pots are blind(s) vs opener (compared to 3/6 and 2/4)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to address this issue.

In s/s 2, harman talks about playing hands like t8, jt, t9, 86, etc. from the blind.

She doesn't mention if they're suited, so I'm assuming that they're not, and that she defends blinds very liberally.

Does this seem to make sense? (I'm not asking if it's correct play, I'm just asking if I have to add "suited" to every hand she's talking about, when I'm trying to understand what her opinion is on correct play).
Old 12-28-2005, 11:46 AM

Thanks. Now I get it.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is because in those games a lot more pots are blind(s) vs opener (compared to 3/6 and 2/4)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to address this issue.

In s/s 2, harman talks about playing hands like t8, jt, t9, 86, etc. from the blind.

She doesn't mention if they're suited, so I'm assuming that they're not, and that she defends blinds very liberally.

Does this seem to make sense? (I'm not asking if it's correct play, I'm just asking if I have to add "suited" to every hand she's talking about, when I'm trying to understand what her opinion is on correct play).

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes I believe she means unsuited. Defending with hands like that is good because they are less likely to be dominated than a hand like say K6 and are easy to let go from after the flop.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would invest $30 into PartyMine and mine each level before you move up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Note that there is a good chance that the new version of the Party client software will be rolled out before before your 75 days are up, at which point PartyMine will be useless since you won't be able to gather stats on observed hands anymore.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Note that there is a good chance that the new version of the Party client software will be rolled out before before your 75 days are up, at which point PartyMine will be useless since you won't be able to gather stats on observed hands anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? Can we still use old party software to mine? Why did party decide to stop allowing gathering of stats for observed hands?
Old 12-28-2005, 08:06 PM

there was an announcement a while ago, not sure where the zoo thread on it is. IMO the likelihood of them letting you play on an older version without upgrading is small
Old 12-28-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, well that sucks.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:15 AM

I want to throw my 2 cents in here in case you missed my experience of the same

I did the exact same thing for the same reasons as sack up. I was underrolled for the move. I had decided to take 150BB to the game and go for it. After my 75BB 1st day, I thought I was set. Then, I proceeded to go on the largest and quickest downswing of my career. Very unfortunate and ridiculous consecutive suckouts. AA 10 times which were capped and more than 4 handed 7 times. I won none of those seven hands. After that, I moved back down.

I'm confident I can beat that level. I was playing about 4 tables on average, but never more than 7. I was about 17/11, but I think I could have trimmed that up some to make for less variance when starting. Inside the Poker mind has some nice thoughts on moving into mid limits that I think is pretty good advice. And, FWIW, I'm quite certain my winrate would NOT be 2.0 at 15/30. Given the players I saw there, I was thinking I could win somewhere in the mid 1s...maybe 1.2-1.7. And yes, given the aggressive nature of the opponents, I would imagine that the SD would increase. It seems the TAGS are better TAGS, and the fish are people that are just there to gamble, but have a good feel for when to bluff raise and so forth...the 38/18/2 types.

My personal decision now is that I will no longer move to a level where I can't lose 300BB and continue playing. This way I'm not subject to the cruel timing of the poker gods.

On a side note, I'm at 5/10 right now working my way back up there. Really the 5/10 game is filling up more. There generally seem to be over 20 tables available at party with plenty of fish.

So, that's where I'm at with that. Of course, you do want you want, but I'm not going back to 15/30 until I can light $9k on fire and keep playing my game there.

Good luck to you whatever your decision.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing about 4 tables on average, but never more than 7.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't this awfully much when taking a stab at a new limit underrolled? I even think it's too much when you got a 300BB bankroll and are planning to get adjust to a new level. I know it is too much for me anyhow and I plan to move to 15/30 from 5/10when rolled. Did you feel comfortable making a giant move in limits playing 4-7 tables?
Old 12-29-2005, 11:24 AM

If you have the roll for the 10-20, I don't see the reason to not play it instead of waiting. The 15-30 isn't a poker paradise of players just giving their money away.

- Jim