Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-30-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Dumping bottom two on a nasty board

[ QUOTE ]
The raise amount may have been standard, but 89s is not a strong hand. It's especially not a hand to isolate with.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think it was an isolation play? All he needs is one caller to price everyone in. I doubt this is his standard play, but it is a nice change of pace and he will take at least one stack every time he hits.

Anyway, OP specifically asked us to not "nitique" pre-flop so I'll sign off here.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:51 PM

I think you folded the best hand. He puts you on AK, KK, AA, and he knows you hate that flop unless you have the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (which is merely a way to have outs, not something that makes your hand awesome). All of those mid-range cards block most of his possible flush hands. KJs/QJs aren't hands to call a preflop raise with, KQs and AQs are pretty sketchy, and AKs raises instead of limp/calling. 76s (straight flush) would not try to blow you off the nut flush draw, which just leaves hands like 75s, 65s, and below for possible flush hands. He can't have QJ or J7 really, so 76 is the only way he can make a straight. Sets are unlikely because there's only one combination left of 99 and 88, and TT is probably worth a raise preflop from him.

His raise puts you in a really horrible spot with any hand worse than a set, and if he's a good player he certainly knows that.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt this is his standard play....

Anyway, OP specifically asked us to not "nitique" pre-flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's just a new toy I was trying out. Did it earlier with 97s at another table on the spur of the moment. Worked OK there...this was just a spur of the moment thing as well. And I don't mind talking about it; I just didn't want to hear "Yeah, I just check this preflop" over and over.

You play 1000 hands. 999 of them you are either happy with how you played them or you spot your mistake in them quickly. You play 1 hand a little differently, get put in a spot, post it because you are unsure, and the flies come out of the pudding to tell you how to ABC nit-peddle it.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's a point I was wondering about as well. Elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that I'm not saying betting is wrong. It's a fine bet, it's a good fold. Thing is, what can villain call here that is a significant dog here? J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or any J or 7 with a club is about 50/50, a set is raping us good, a made flush or straight is raping us good. And it's not like you're gonna be called very often by something like KT no club, so yeah.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:58 PM

Not much else you can do there. He has position on you and will keep the pressure on without you knowing if your 2 pair is ahead of a nice draw if the turn bricks or still behind a made hand. I dump it here also. Without knowing the player I would suspect a set of 10's or the ace of clubs. hard to see a made hand here were he would be raising to protect.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you folded the best hand. He puts you on AK, KK, AA, and he knows you hate that flop unless you have the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (which is merely a way to have outs, not something that makes your hand awesome). All of those mid-range cards block most of his possible flush hands. KJs/QJs aren't hands to call a preflop raise with, KQs and AQs are pretty sketchy, and AKs raises instead of limp/calling. 76s (straight flush) would not try to blow you off the nut flush draw, which just leaves hands like 75s, 65s, and below for possible flush hands. He can't have QJ or J7 really, so 76 is the only way he can make a straight. Sets are unlikely because there's only one combination left of 99 and 88, and TT is probably worth a raise preflop from him.

His raise puts you in a really horrible spot with any hand worse than a set, and if he's a good player he certainly knows that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude you are overthinking 100nl.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:15 PM

He said his opponent was very good.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:19 PM

I don't think Soah's overthinking this hand at all. I folded it knowing that I was folding the best hand a nice percentage of the time. The question is how much of the time is acceptable here. Note that we have 1.5 buy-in effective stacks. Although you wouldn't know it from the pre-flop play, I don't want to speculate too much for 1.5 buy-ins, which is what I would have been doing if I continued in the hand. I'm just getting my feet wet in NL200 and short handed at the same time. And so, when in doubt, I weak-tight it out. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 08:36 PM

Folding is certainly not a crime here. I often (read: when in doubt) fold what I think could be the best hand if I have few/no redraws to a better hand... sorta like in Omaha.

Even 77 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] has you in (sort of) bad shape, and it is definately possible that he has something like 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or KQ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. At best (besides pure bluff) you are up against JT [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and are still almost a coinflip.