Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em

Old 12-20-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Quotation from \"Small Stakes Hold\'em\"

I just read "Small Stakes Hold'em" for the second time and I wonder about what is said in the beginning under "Why This Book..." Sklansky suggests "Making well over $50.000 per year playing $3-6 hold'em is now no big deal." This could be done "because you can play two or three games at once". Is this expactation realistic? It seems a little high to me. Is there any 2+2er who could confirm it's possible based on experience? Anyone else with ideas and thoughts about it please post your views about expectations at low limit hold'em.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Quotation from \"Small Stakes Hold\'em\"

They are presumably referring to the internet, where many 2+2ers play 4-8 tables, some play 10. In fact, I assume that virtually all online players at 2+2 probably play more than 1 table at a time.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:03 PM

Yes I'm aware of that, maybe I wasn't clear about my question. May I put it this way: Is it realististic to win more than 50 gran a year on 3/6 (or 5/10) playing 3 tables only following the guidelines of "Small Stakes Hold'em" (and do it well of course) without any extraordinary "expert" skills?
I believe that is what Sklansky says or am I misinterpreting him?
Old 12-20-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes I'm aware of that, maybe I wasn't clear about my question. May I put it this way: Is it realististic to win more than 50 gran a year on 3/6 (or 5/10) playing 3 tables only following the guidelines of "Small Stakes Hold'em" (and do it well of course) without any extraordinary "expert" skills?

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally would rather kill myself than play 4 table SSHE as a full time job, but yes it is very doable, especially with bonuses.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:12 AM

ive been curious about this quote over the last month or so, after reading Sklansky's other quote, something to the effect of "to make 50k a year requires an iq of over 130, hard work, discipline, etc."

to me this seems a far cry from "no big deal". either sklansky is getting senile, or he is being quite disingenuous here (or there is another explanation of which i am not aware). can somebody successfully reconcile these two apparently contradictory quotes?
Old 12-21-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ive been curious about this quote over the last month or so, after reading Sklansky's other quote, something to the effect of "to make 50k a year requires an iq of over 130, hard work, discipline, etc."

[/ QUOTE ]

David thinks that having an IQ over 130, working somewhat hard, and having some discipline is no big deal. I agree.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In order to eke out the maximum edge, you will have to deviate from the book's advice at times. The key is to know when those times are.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:39 PM

I think you are taking a "If I do what the book says I'll make a ton of money" approach. You need to have your own individualism, and make decisions off good reads as well as good strategy.

This is how all begginners start out though.. One thing to remember is that you could play those 8 hours a day, (which you wont) everyday, (which you wont) 3 tabling (why just 3??)...and yet after a year (approximate 480,000 hands...at FR) you still wouldnt be close to determining your true W/R.
Poker has swings....BIG swings...no really...BIG SWINGS!!!
especially if you are a good, aggressive player.

Averages are hard to figure out when you add...umm....varience.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I've read a few of the 2+2 books, and although they are often considered the definitive works in their area, few players have the ability to organize the strategies into a cohesive game plan and/or lack the discipline to follow them.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:01 PM

$50,000 is an average of $137 per day . . . say you play for 8 hours (including weekends) . . . then you need to make $17.13 per hour (roughly 3bb per hour) . . . if you play 3 tables that is 1bb per hour, per table . . . Play 6 tables and you only need to work for 4 hours instead of 8 . . . etc.

1bb/hr (per table) is a very reasonable win rate for 3/6, you just need to play sightly better than the average Joe at your table =)