Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 01:00 AM

Default AK, M ratio = 6.5, Is this a Push?

Should I push, call, or raise? M=6.5
Please explain why? Thanks

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG+1 (t14620)
MP1 (t25849)
MP2 (t13292)
MP3 (t17272)
Hero (t8815)
Button (t18325)
SB (t14235)
BB (t19060)
UTG (t37058)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t1800</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>,
Old 09-12-2005, 01:10 AM

Default Re: AK, M ratio = 6.5, Is this a Push?

All in, you still have folding equity and you are in good shape against all but 2 hands. You run into aces well that's just a cold deck, but with so few chips you gotta make a stand. This is a good spot.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:51 PM

I agree with Jackal. This spot demands an all in. You're short on chips and need to double through. He's got chips to protect so you've a good chance of a fold, a good chance you're 50/50 even a chance your dominating him. I think that offsets the risk he's packing aces or kings.

All the best

Koy
Old 09-12-2005, 01:28 PM

Push. Considering that MP1 could have so many hands here that you crush you have to push. What happens if you call and the flop comes rags and he bets?
Any real raise is going to commit you anyway, so I would maximize my FE by pushing. t2700 is a nice addition to your stack.

Best-
Old 09-12-2005, 01:34 PM

Calling is definitely wrong. Let me know if you don't see why.

Folding is only correct if you have an uber-good read that your opponents only raising hands are AKs, KK+. Since this is near impossible, let's say folding is wrong too.

That leaves either re-raising part of your stack or pushing. Since re-raising here will leave you mostly crippled if you fold to a flop bet, I'm going with pushing, and hoping he folds PF. By doing this, you get the added value of having him fold 44-88, which are slightly ahead of you now.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:53 PM

My immediate reaction would alse be a push ... but I'm interested in exploring the option of flat calling:

You might get button or blinds to commit chips with inferior hands, and chances are even in a three-way pot your hand is good on a flop with a K or an A (which will be one out of three).

If you're raised all-in preflop you call gleefully, and if you're called and miss the flop you push to a check or fold to a bet.

With such a short stack you really want to make the most of your big hands, and though pressed you you're not truly desparate yet.

If you end up losing the 1,800 you still have 10 x BB and the option of moving in next time it's folded to you.

I realize this might be a controversial approach, but alternatives: either folding the OR and increasing your stack to t11,900 (still shortest on table) or busting out 50% of the time doesn't necessarily seem that appealing here.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 09-12-2005, 03:58 PM

i understand this is just your idle musings.... but not pushing is really bad.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:09 PM

I agree with everyone and I indeed pushed.
But I feel it is an interesting hand and like to discuss some other options.

First, I will never fold here. I am not realy worry about AA or KK here. There is no sign MP1 has AA or KK. It is just a typical 3xBB raise.

My thinking was I want take this pot down PF. I want everybody behind me fold. I want the 3xBB raiser fold with my push. AK is a very good hand. But it is not bullet proof.
Even 32 has a good percentage chance to outdraw AK.
Is this "take the pot down now" a good or bad thinking?

If I want to take this pot down now, what is the best way to get people fold? I can raise from $1800 to $4000 or $5000 or push my $8800 all in. Which one has better FE?
Sometimes, I feel a big raise scare people more than all in pushes. I am ready to commit all my chips. Just want to know which has better FE. What do you think?

I am relatively short stacked (M=6.5, stack=14xBB).
Should I forget about "take this pot down now",
instead try to get more chips in the pot and try to win more?
You don't get many hands like AK. Should we try to win more chips with it? Is this a bad thinking? why is it bad?
To win more chips, we can call $1800 bet and hope to get more callers. Or we can min-raise the MP1 and hope MP1 will call min-raises.
I know to get more callers or get raiser to call you, you have bigger risk to loose the pot.
Is this the right situation to take such risk?
Old 09-12-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My thinking was I want take this pot down PF. I want everybody behind me fold. I want the 3xBB raiser fold with my push. AK is a very good hand. But it is not bullet proof.
Even 32 has a good percentage chance to outdraw AK.
Is this "take the pot down now" a good or bad thinking?

If I want to take this pot down now, what is the best way to get people fold? I can raise from $1800 to $4000 or $5000 or push my $8800 all in. Which one has better FE?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thinking and you understand why. Pushing is best not just for FE but for the "all five cards" factor.

[ QUOTE ]
I am relatively short stacked (M=6.5, stack=14xBB).
Should I forget about "take this pot down now",
instead try to get more chips in the pot and try to win more?
You don't get many hands like AK. Should we try to win more chips with it? Is this a bad thinking? why is it bad?
To win more chips, we can call $1800 bet and hope to get more callers. Or we can min-raise the MP1 and hope MP1 will call min-raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad thinking. You only have ace high and you can't slowplay ace high. Push it in, and either take the pot (Which is a significant addition to your stack at this point) or give yourself five cards to catch top pair.

You can't slowplay AK because it immediately becomes worthless if you don't pair and there's any kind of action. Again, the "all five cards" factor-- you can't make top pair on the turn or river if you aren't there for it.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:32 PM

Thanks. Nice comment.

Isn't it Ace high (King kicker) a strong hand PF when heads up? Ace high after flop is another story.