Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Fantasy Football Musings

As I start researching I've been throwing around a few ideas. I don't know where I'll be picking so these are just some different strategies:

1. Drafting Randy Moss with the idea of trading him sometime around Week 7. I think Moss will come out early guns a blazing with some huge numbers. Then about week 8 when the Raiders are 2-5, he will start to take some plays off. Maybe pick up a random "hamstring injury" and just generally mope throughout the rest of the season. In week 7 when he has 8 touchdowns and 800 yards he will look like a god to someone who might trade me a top 3 running back or quarterback for him.

2. Drafting alot of running backs early. Not totally the "bugstud theory" it just seems like a lot of the really good choices for second running back (Julius Jones, Kevin Jones, Tatum Bell, LaMont Jordan, etc) have never played a full season. So I think for both trade value and just simple depth a bunch of running backs are important.

3. If Antonio Gates falls until the third round I'm picking him up.

4. Is Kerry Collins a sleeper pick or fad pick?

5. I think Chad Johnson and Joe Horn are the only two wideouts I don't have HUGE questions about. That scares me.

So what do you think?
Old 07-25-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Fantasy Football Musings

1. The Moss thing is dumb.
2. Always draft a ton of rbs.
3. Gates will prob go in the third. You could take him there. Its not awful.
4. Fad pick, but he'll have big #'s.
5. Umm, Moss, Owens, Ward?
Old 07-25-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I start researching I've been throwing around a few ideas. I don't know where I'll be picking so these are just some different strategies:

1. Drafting Randy Moss with the idea of trading him sometime around Week 7. I think Moss will come out early guns a blazing with some huge numbers. Then about week 8 when the Raiders are 2-5, he will start to take some plays off. Maybe pick up a random "hamstring injury" and just generally mope throughout the rest of the season. In week 7 when he has 8 touchdowns and 800 yards he will look like a god to someone who might trade me a top 3 running back or quarterback for him.

2. Drafting alot of running backs early. Not totally the "bugstud theory" it just seems like a lot of the really good choices for second running back (Julius Jones, Kevin Jones, Tatum Bell, LaMont Jordan, etc) have never played a full season. So I think for both trade value and just simple depth a bunch of running backs are important.

3. If Antonio Gates falls until the third round I'm picking him up.

4. Is Kerry Collins a sleeper pick or fad pick?

5. I think Chad Johnson and Joe Horn are the only two wideouts I don't have HUGE questions about. That scares me.

So what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. not a bad idea.

2. w00000000t. seriously though, backups at any other position are generally not much different from WW guys in anything smaller than 12 teams. a second QB, fine...but do you need a 5th wr or a RB that might have a starting job for 5 weeks at the end of the year and win you the league? I think the difference is clear. It's the guys the got the Joneses for cheap that were going deep in the playoffs.

3. I might wait until the 4th in a ten teamer. But I'm a little pessimistic in his ability to be schemed against by defense.

4. Both. depends on what you project him for. If you think he's getting 40tds, it's a fad. 3500 yards and 26 tds, though...

5. I have questions about Joe Horn. He's old, and his in the place where talent goes to die. So you're down to Chad Johnson. This is the reason why I draft that 4th RB over some wr guy that's going to produce the same range as the guy 2 rounds down.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Umm, Moss, Owens, Ward?

[/ QUOTE ]

Moss- see my #1 musing

Owens- I don't know how he will act in camp (if he shows up) I'm sure when he's playing he will be good. However, I would not rule out one of those strange injuries that always seem to happen to guys who want to be traded or renegotiate and are either holding out or being a problem in camp.

Ward- was not Roethlisbergers favorite target last year and may not be this year even with Plex gone.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:34 PM

Moss has something to prove and he'll be the focal point of that offense. His #'s should be terrific.

Owens said he's going to report. Say whatever you want about the guy but he's a player and he wants to win. His #'s should be stellar.

Ward should have a very big season. Do you think Randle-El is going to be the focal point of the offense? All Pitt did was run last year. They're going to open it up more this year. Ward will be fine.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ward should have a very big season. Do you think Randle-El is going to be the focal point of the offense? All Pitt did was run last year. They're going to open it up more this year. Ward will be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I going to disagree with this...Randel-El will be prominent, and they're going to run the ball. A lot.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:47 PM

Yes, of course they will. Running is what they do

But they're going to be very interested in developing their young QB and seeing what they've got. I think they throw the ball downfield much more than they did last year. Especially with Heath Miller who I think will be a great TE.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:52 PM

If Pittsburgh is opening up their offense more they will be in trouble. They have to run first and play good defense. If they are passing alot, they are trailing and if they are trailing they are losing. I think they are a better team than that.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:57 PM

No, I think they open it up to test the qb, give him some experience. You don't draft a QB in the first round hoping you wind up with a guy who "won't lose you games." That's how they played him last year and it worked. The Pats did the same thing with Brady his first year. He made some big plays when they needed them, but for the most part he just got rid of the ball quickly, short routes, etc. Eventually they start to open it up...
Old 07-25-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I think they open it up to test the qb, give him some experience. You don't draft a QB in the first round hoping you wind up with a guy who "won't lose you games." That's how they played him last year and it worked. The Pats did the same thing with Brady his first year. He made some big plays when they needed them, but for the most part he just got rid of the ball quickly, short routes, etc. Eventually they start to open it up...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think our definitions are different