Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market

Old 07-10-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Invest or pay off student loans?

Heres the deal... i recently got a nice raise. I know myself so i immediately set it up so that the percentage increase of the raise would be deducted from my paycheck and sent to my savings account. I know people adjust their spending when their income rises and i was already living quite comfortably and did not want to fall into this trap. So my paycheck is the same and i now have some money building in my savings account. Additionally, i put my excess poker money into my savings account.

I have a decent 401k... 100% match on the first 3% and 50% match on 3-5%. I take advantage of this nice deposit bonus and put 5% of my paycheck toward it. I laugh at the people who i work with that dont take full advantage of this.

Now, I have about 14k in student loans remaining and about 7 years left of payments. I guess i was sleeping for the last 3 months because i didnt realize that student loan rates were set to increse...FUG. So instead of the 3% APR im now paying 5ish. Lesson learned. Beside my student laons, i am 100% debt free.

I am 27 and would like to buy a house by the time i am 30. Should i be paying down my student loan now that my rate increased? Is it reasonable to get a 5+% return without too much risk? I dont have the boku bucks to invest in bonds and get those nice 6%+ returns so i am left to ponder whether to pay down my laons or attempt to find a return of greater then 5% to outpace them. Also, as a 27 y/o who is looking to buy a house within the next few years, should i even bother to put anything more then 5% of my income into some sort of retirement account?

I know I have lots of questions but i really need to plan for the future... i just dont know what to do and dont feel like contacting suze the money nazi.

thanks in advance,
cubs
Old 07-10-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Invest or pay off student loans?

At 27, why is your free cash sitting around in a savings account?

Open up an online brokerage account and put your $$$ to work for you.

Assuming you are actually investing the $$$ you are putting into your 401K, you should have at least a bit of experience with investments.

Don't be in any rush to pay off your student loans, you should be able to easily outperform the low interest rate you have on there.

Congrats on the nice raise... may there be many more of those in your future!
Old 07-10-2005, 07:45 PM

im going to do my best to answer these questions as i have some understanding of finance but am not sure what the current market rates are.

if you can find an investment with over 5% returns and no risk, or returns greater than 5% worth the risk, then certainly use your loan money to invest.

an important thing to consider however is whether or not you will qualify for a mortgage on a home. i recommend that you look into your price range and find out whether the banks will want collateral, what LTV ratio they will offer you along with interest rate and points.

if you cant get a mortgage for 5% interest then clearly its a good idea to simply put cash down on your place to save on the interest rates.

when buying your home, you are essentially either going to have alot of equity in your home, or you are going to have little equity but alot of investments. if you apply ev principles, either way you are going to be investing money with 5% interest rates. if you cannot find an investment worth paying 5% interest on, then it all comes down to mortgage rates/loan rates.

i recommend that you reconsider purchasing a home for the time being. the real estate bubble is a serious concern and many people fear that homeowners are going to go into considerable debt when the rupture occurs. even real estate book-writers like robert kiyosaki admit to the real concerns of the bubble and has said that the profitability of the real estate market is currently over.

before purchasing your home, you should strongly consider reading some books on the real estate bubble. when and if it happens, real estate prices will decline significantly and you can jump on your own home with very little interest rates. the real estate bubble will be a period in which rich people profit off the losses of the poor. you want to make sure that you are in prime situation to take advantage of epidemic.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the input. I have cash sitting in my savings account because i dont know where to put it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Actually, its earning 3.0% and i have been happy with that up to this point... but now i want to earn more than this. Yes, my 401k investments are mutual funds... so i am not totally green when it comes to investing.

My bigger concern was whether to pay off the student loan early or use that money to invest. Since i have my 3-year plan to get into a house, i guess i was worried about the variance of some forms of short term investments. I guess earning a 5%+ is fairly realistic long-term .... i just dont want to be caught on a downswing in the market when i go to buy. I was leaning toward not paying down my loans and i think this is the way i should go...

thanks,
cubs
Old 07-10-2005, 07:57 PM

i recommend that you reconsider purchasing a home for the time being. the real estate bubble is a serious concern and many people fear that homeowners are going to go into considerable debt when the rupture occurs.

I have no plans to purchase where im current living or within the next couple of years. I think northern virginia is the biggest housing bubble in the country right now. Our 2br, 2ba 1100 sq ft apartment went condo and we had first right to buy at the bargin price of $460k... with a $500 a month association fee to boot. I will not buy a condo here for that insane price... i making my money here and moving back to sweet home chicago [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Hence... im not really even considering buying until I leave this area or the housing market does a belly flop.

cubs
Old 07-10-2005, 08:29 PM

Get a consolidation loan from Fannie Mae or another loan provider to lock in the student loan interest rates while they are still relatively low.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess earning a 5%+ is fairly realistic long-term .... i just dont want to be caught on a downswing in the market when i go to buy.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do your homework, you should be able to realistically easily beat 5% long term.

At 27, you also shouldn't be so worried about inevitable downswings in the market.

If you really want to turn investing into another stream of income, you could also do some reading on how to profit from those market downswings.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:19 PM

I wouldn't bother paying off the student loans. I am in almost exactly the same boat (wife has the student loans) - same balance and term left, more or less. Unless you absolutely hate being in debt and can't sleep at night, just keep paying the $180-$200 a month or whatever for seven more years and be done with it. Your interest rate is 5% and its most likely tax-deductible.

Given you would like to get into a house in about three years, I wouldn't go completely bonkers in the market. If you would like to get into picking stocks, do your homework and give it a shot, but it sounds as if you want to earn a decent return without incurring a ton of risk. If that is you, a nice 50/50 mix of a stock fund and bond fund would probably work. You'd shoot for earning 5%+ in interest on the bonds and have some upside potential with a diversifised stock fund.

If losing 10%+ of your money is unacceptable, lower your allocation of stocks or just go all bonds. If losing 5% or any of your money is unacceptable, stick with the 3% savings account or invest in government bonds.

Good luck - you are doing great with the 401(k) and overall mindset.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:57 AM

You can't get better than 5% risk free, so if that is your criteria then pay off the student loans. risk-free is money markets or CD's. Best you can do with those right now is somewhere in the 3-4% range.

You don't need boku bucks to invest in bonds. You can invest in a bond mutual fund. Mutual funds do have minimum investments but most funds have minimums around $1000-$2500.

If you are saving towards a downpayment for a house in a few years then you would want to keep everything in something risk free or very low risk.

And finally, you will probably get a lot of advice to put your money in the stock market. For someone that really knows what they are doing then this is a good option. But you really need to educate yourself over a period of time. There are lots of people on this board who agonize over whether the optimum play on a certain 3/6 hand is to bet-fold or check-call, but then they go and put thousands of dollars into the stock market without really haveing a clue other than 'it's supposed to go up over time'.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:56 AM

For anyone willing to invest the time to do their homework (and people reading these boards have certainly shown an inclination toward doing their homework with regard to poker), investing in the stock market is +EV.