Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 03-29-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Top Two Pair question on the Turn.

yet another question about the tricky top two pair. I raised the pot UTG with a 99AK double suited. and got three callers. The Flop came:

AK2 with the K2 suited. I Bet the pot (~$4) and got two callers and one person who went all-in for $5. We all called the extra $1. The turn came with a non-suited 5.
What action do you recommend in this situation? My gut feeling is to Pot it and let the hand go if I get raised.

If there is no raise what do you do on the river if it pairs the board, or brings the flush? (My Guess: Check/fold)

What do you do if it brings a blank like the 8d?

I actually checked the turn and bet the river when the board paired the river, hoping people would fold thinking I had aces full, which now that I think about it was dumb as I had shown weakness by checking the turn. It cost me $20, and probably would have cost me the same had I bet the pot on the turn and check/folded the river. I actually thought of how I would have played the hand if I was trying to lose all my money, and I probably would have played it alot better than I actually did, but regardless.

Are there any big gaps in my interpretation of the correct play of this hand?
Old 03-29-2005, 08:32 PM

Default Re: Top Two Pair question on the Turn.

i am assuming you don't have the suits.

pot the turn. the offsuit 5 is a blank. do you think that you are up against 34? you raised preflop and then bet the pot. i wouldn't be that scared of a wheel.

as for the river, you have a hand with showdown value. i don't think a hand that beats you folds to your bet, so why do it?
Old 03-30-2005, 02:38 AM

Thanks for the advice. Do you play Omaha in Chicago at all? I am just learning but would like to play a live game at some point. I am usually at Harras and always on the 08 list though I've yet to see it spread. They used to spread a limit game at trump but I havent seen that in a while.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:03 AM

Pot bet the turn, you probably have the best hand.

If the board pairs/flushes on the river its up to judgement, but a check would be recommended to start with.

Let's say you check a turn, and check a paired/flushed river and he bets, you can often easy fold though it's not probable he bluffs with in a "empty" sidepot... Even if its not 100% sure bec. he might want the best hand out and thinks he beats the all-in guy...
Old 03-31-2005, 02:44 AM

I don't know about you other guys but I think the biggest problem in this hand is the fact that you raised UTG with AK99. Your early position gave you trouble for the rest of the hand.