Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 08-24-2004, 06:47 AM

Default SNG Strategy

Guys - I am new to this forum but loving it already. Actually used the strategy you guys have all been going on about last night on pokerroom. And - for 45 minutes i was cursing it as i was getting no hands and was folding my A3 suited, Q8 suited and 89unsuited. Had 3 hands in that time, AK,AQ,55 all of which i raised with but missed my flops. I was continually the short stack all the way thro and finally with 5 left i had KK followed by QQ which i doubled up on both times. three hands later and maybe wrongly i got AJ suited on the button. I raised, got re-raised and decided to re-re-raise all in hoping he would fold. He didn't and produced 55 but luckily i caught an A on the river and was now chip leader.
Went super-tight on the bubble and next thing i am heads up. At that point anything can happen and i walked into him having AA in the whole and that was the end of it.

So the strategy held up i made $19 profit on a 10+1. But my qustion is, what would have happened if i hadn't hit those KK and QQ. I was a bit lucky to get them there.

Also - everyone here talks about FAQ's for SNG's. Where can i find these?
Old 08-24-2004, 10:17 AM

Default Re: SNG Strategy

Here is my FAQ:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/fa...mp;postmarker=

[ QUOTE ]

what would have happened if i hadn't hit those KK and QQ

[/ QUOTE ]

You would have lost, you can't expect to win them all! Often you will lose however perfectly you play.

Tim
Old 08-24-2004, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i got AJ suited on the button. I raised, got re-raised and decided to re-re-raise all in hoping he would fold. He didn't ...

[/ QUOTE ]

He never will. The play you describe above is almost certainly a huge leak in your game. Of course, the situation (stacks, blinds, opponent's tendencies, size of the raises) may alter how wrong the play is, but from the description you give, this appears to be a big mistake. It appears that both of your stacks were fairly deep (enough for you to raise, him to reraise and you to think that he could fold to an all-in), but this is rarely the case in Party SNGs (not sure if that's where you're playing). Without knowing more about the situation, I can't comment on what the correct play was, but you should know that you are almost never (99.9%) going to force a fold after a player has reraised you in a SNG. NEVER. If you push, it should be because you have the best hand.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:22 AM

It was pokerroom 10+1. Just so that I am sure,should i always fold this or risk the coin flip? I had 2,800 at this stage (having got myself up from 785 chips) and he had maybe 5,000. I was button, he was UTG. It was limped and folded and i raised 450 BB=150). He re-raised to 850, I re-re-raised all in, and he called.

To be honest thought he was bullying and would fold to a re-re-raise as he must have thought that having built myself up and played tight-aggresive all game, i must have had a PP. i actually think i deserved to win as his call with just a 55 was bad. But i am here to listen and learn so please let me know if you think i am completely wrong here
Old 08-24-2004, 11:36 AM

I doubt I would call the reraise with AK much less AJ unless you are desperate...most people will reraise 3xBB raise with AK or better making your AJ a sure dog...
Folding correctly is one of the most powerful plays in poker I believe.