Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-26-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: What is PokerRoom 10/20 5-max like?

The games are OK. Very LAGgy, with lots of 55/25 sorts of guys and much fewer 40/8 guys. 5-Max seems to send some into silly aggression, and it will have a different tempo than Party or some other sites -- lots of flinging chips into the pot with authority and little else (besides an authoritative fling). But there are several solid (post-flop) guys that stat-wise are somewhere like 40/25 or 35/25.

Game selection leaves a lot to be desired. Weekend nights there might be 4 or sometimes 5 games running. Weeknights might be 2 - 4. And there might be 2 games running with each waiting list being 2-3 deep, but if you sit at an empty table and wait for others to join, it's the rare bird that sits and gets a game going. To compound the game selection challenge, even when there are 4 games running, there are only 20 seats, and very often one or two different LAG/TAGs who play well post-flop or are at least good hand-readers and player-readers (pound on fishes, don't push hard against solid) are sitting at each table. In other words, you might find no more than 17-20 different players at peak times and 7-10 at low-volume times. The one upside is that the 5-max games are played on a 10-seat table, and you get to choose which of the 10 seats you sit in, despite the table being limited to 5 players -- this means of course that you have a lot of flexibility on seat selection even when table selection is lacking.

I don't know much about the network either. I play there occasionally, but it is a long way from being a preferred destination for me. The rake is slightly worse (but not dramatically so) at 10/20 or higher than other sites, but not the horrible rip-off that others often describe here at 2+2 (which description sounds like it might be appropriate at lower levels). The method of computing MGR isn't terribly favorable to the player with incentives, though, so even a flat rake isn't necessarily as attractive as it might be on other sites.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Over the hands I played, pokerroom + rakeback was just about a wash versus party without."

So your saying that even with rakeback you are still paying the same amount of rake that you would playing PP? Yikes, I knew it was bad, but I didnt know it was that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's worse at the lower limits. I was playing $.20 a hand in rake at 3/6. Party is $.12
Old 12-27-2005, 02:59 AM

I must be intepreting these things wrong because I just spent 30 minutes comparing the rake and different levels and PRs seems to be only slightly worse and that was only when the pots became larger. When the pots stayed smaller in relation to BBs the rake actually seemed to be better. I must be reading something wrong, because ti seems like with rakeback it owuld be a good deal.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:16 AM

At 3/6, say the pot is $12, they are raking $1.20 That's 10%, which = sick
Old 12-27-2005, 09:41 AM

1) I just began playing there few weeks ago. My experiences are mostly from little higher levels, but I played little 10 20 aswell. The games are good. But don't bluff. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Most of the opponents I have had are pretty loose-passive, so in many occasions when I have been value betting 2nd pair decent kicker on every street it turns out opponent is just calling down with top pair good kicker kinda hand.

2) Many games and all good.

3) I play at http://www.bayoupoker.com/ they offer 50% rakeback. But it's as unlimited neteller deposit bonuses, those "bonuses" are credited to your account once a day.
Cashouts seem to be fast and reliable.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:53 AM

I'm not sure about my math but .1 of a BB at 3/6 should be .60 which is should means it'll cap at .5 which is 4% Which is not so bad though...
Old 12-27-2005, 05:36 PM

I compared the rake for PokerRoom 10/20 with Party.

First off let me remind some of you that BB = Big Blind.

PokerRoom is significantly cheaper for heads up play, saving $0.50 in many raked pots. You never pay more than Party.

PokerRoom is completely awful for 3-handed play. You'll pay an extra $1.00 in most 3-handed pots. This is absolute murder on game starters and quite possibly a major factor in the lack of game selection you guys are reporting.

PokerRoom, if you are reading this let me say that a $2 max rake 3-handed is just idiocy. Do you hate your own business? People who will play 3-handed are to be treasured because they are the ones who create new tables and save dying ones. I play a lot of 3-handed poker against the right opponents at other rooms, but I will definitely leave any Pokerroom table that goes under four players.

PokerRoom is slightly better than Party 4-handed. You will save an occasional $0.50 when the pot is under $40. For most of us this only happens when you play an unraised pot out of the blinds and take it down with a flop bet.

This tiny pot advantage still exists 5-handed but it is heavily outweighed by having to pay an extra $1.00 on all medium and large pots (>= $120 = 6 big bets).

PokerRoom has a large advantage over Party with 6+ players. You save $0.50 or $1.00 on a wide range of pots. Of course PR offers 5-max so most of you don't care.

But I care. I spend a lot of time at sites where you should stop being fussy and play whatever game the fish are playing today. So I'm used to the idea of mix-and-matching my tables.

How is the game selection for 10/20 full-ring at PokerRoom? Is it 9-handed or 10-handed?

What are the next steps up the ladder? I've sort of gotten the idea that you have to jump all the way to $25/$50.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:56 PM

Edit: BB = Big Blind...
Old 12-27-2005, 11:10 PM

Yeah the bayou bonus is pretty sick, but I heard from another forum that cashouts are sometimes a little tedious. Check out totalbluff.com, they have a ton of threads of exactly how the bayou bonus works. Its a little weird from what I understood.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How is the game selection for 10/20 full-ring at PokerRoom? Is it 9-handed or 10-handed?

What are the next steps up the ladder? I've sort of gotten the idea that you have to jump all the way to $25/$50.

[/ QUOTE ]

Full handed selection is usually worse than short-handed. Right now (11:10 PM Tuesday night) there are two full 10-tops vs 4 5-tops. Off peak times there is frequently no full ring game going.

There is one full 15/30 game going and one 1/2 full 25/50 10-top going. One heads-up table at each of those levels going, and one heads-up match on a full ring table at 500/1000. That's it above 10/20

15/30 and 25/50 seem similarily spotty as far as I can tell, with a game or two going most times, rarely more.

B.