Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-21-2005, 12:57 AM

Default $1/$2 NL live - deepstacks (~300 BB)

Fantastic game. $1/$2 live uncapped buy in game in NYC. 8 or 9 handed...3 bad LAG's who cannot get away from top pair hands and such. Most stacks at the table between $400 and $800.

Villian in this hand has been VERY tight since he sat down an hour or two before. I veiw him more weak tight than TAG. Only hand he showed down was when he doubled through the table big stack with a flopped set of J's against AK on a K high board.

Hand:

Hero (~600)
Villian (~500)

Hero is dealt KK UTG + 1 and rasies to $17 (UTG starddled to $4).

Villian in MP calls as does LP player.

Flop: 6 9 10 rainbow Pot (~59)

Hero bets $60
MP thinks and rasies to $120
LP folds.
Hero thinks and calls $60

Turn 2 (suit not important) Pot (~$300)

Hero bets $125...

Thoughts? I'm not sure about the size of my turn bet...didn't want to pot committ myself if villain pushed, but does it look too weak?

I will post results after some feedback. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: $1/$2 NL live - deepstacks (~300 BB)

By popular demand (note: sarcasim) I'll post the result:

Villian thought for awhile and then folded A 10 face up.

It worked out this time, but I'm still unsure about the size of turn bet. Do I leave myself open to getting blown off my hand by a better player with a worse hand? If villian in this handed came over the top and pushed, I prob would have layed it down giving him credit for a set. What might be a better line on flop and turn?
Old 12-21-2005, 02:54 PM

Bet more on the turn and fold to a raise.

edit: didn't count the stacks, you have to make the decision on the flop, if you call the flop, bet 200 on the turn and call a push.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:16 PM

I'm not crazy about that turn bet. It creates 2 problems in that if it gets called, you'll have no idea where you are, and its small enough that the villain may feel he can blow you off your KK with his QQ or JJ, or maybe even AK if he's capable of that. By just calling his raise, you're creating a tough spot for yourself on the turn. I think you need to 3-bet this flop, that way you're making it very clear to him what kind of a hand you have, and you give him a chance to lose all his money with his AT (although it doesnt sound like he will, but maybe). There's nothing wrong with him folding to a 3-bet, thats a lot better than allowing yourself to make a mistake on the turn and river out of position with a vulnerable hand.

You said this guy has only been there for an hour or 2, so he has only been dealt maybe 80 or 90 hands max. Its certainly possible that he hasn't many real hands yet, so labelling him a TAG in that amount of time is risky. The key here is how he played his set of jacks. Was he in position in that hand? If he did the same flop min-raise, then you have a tougher decision here. Otherwise, I would raise to 220 on the flop, and fold to a push. He's not calling your raise with T9 (he can't be that much of a TAG anyway if he's calling an UTG+1 raise with AT).

I prefer to play this hand almost entirely on the flop, as being oop on the turn with a big pot and this hand is a difficult situation.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:32 PM

call flop, check-raise all-in on the turn
Old 12-21-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you put him on when he rasies my flop bet? My read was that he was tight and on the weak side, so I was fairly sure he had something pretty strong here. My range for him was 99-QQ...so I thought I was either WA or WB.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not crazy about that turn bet. It creates 2 problems in that if it gets called, you'll have no idea where you are, and its small enough that the villain may feel he can blow you off your KK with his QQ or JJ, or maybe even AK if he's capable of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this was exactly my concern when I thought about the hand afterwards. I didn't want to make a bigger bet b/c I feel I would have been pot committed if he pushed. I also didn't think he would push with a worse hand. But your point is well taken that a better player could see the weakness in my bet and blow me off my hand JJ/QQ or AK.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It worked out this time,

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you mean he didn't try to bluff you, then it worked out. But what I see is villain correctly laying down a hand that you have crushed. If the action was "villain pushed, I called and he showed AT" then you could say that it worked out this time.

I'm going to go with other posters and say c/r all-in on the turn. The pot is getting too big to comfortably get away from an overpair, so you may as well maximize your equity against hands like AT by getting them to commit themselves with a turn bet.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It worked out this time,

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you mean he didn't try to bluff you, then it worked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I was getting at. I think a better player could have made a move on me and possibly blown me off my hand.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to go with other posters and say c/r all-in on the turn. The pot is getting too big to comfortably get away from an overpair, so you may as well maximize your equity against hands like AT by getting them to commit themselves with a turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked the other poster this question as well in response to his suggestion...what hand range do you put him on when he raises my pot size flop bet?

I thought he had 99-QQ, and I am WB 2 of those.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good line