Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: A few weeks left, who are your BCS Teams?

Clarkmeister- Why don't you think Ohio State should get an at-large bid other than the fact that you don't like them?

They lost to the #2 and #3 teams by a combined six points. They have played one of the toughest schedules in the country, are playing their best football lately (except maybe for special teams...), feature some of the most exciting players in the nation, and have a great fan base that travels well.

Oregon has played a much weaker schedule and almost lost to 1-7 Washington State. Every human poll and every computer ranking has Ohio State above Oregon in the rankings. If the Ducks get a BCS bid over the Buckeyes it would be a total joke.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clarkmeister- Why don't you think Ohio State should get an at-large bid other than the fact that you don't like them?

They lost to the #2 and #3 teams by a combined six points. They have played one of the toughest schedules in the country, are playing their best football lately (except maybe for special teams...), feature some of the most exciting players in the nation, and have a great fan base that travels well.

Oregon has played a much weaker schedule and almost lost to 1-7 Washington State. Every human poll and every computer ranking has Ohio State above Oregon in the rankings. If the Ducks get a BCS bid over the Buckeyes it would be a total joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Big Ten is vastly overrated, and the Pac-10 is underrated. Losing at home despite Texas BEGGING to be beat is terrible. As you mentioned, they lost to the #2 and #3 teams already. They don't deserve yet another shot in the postseason. Frankly, I'd put Oregon in over ND also. Both lost to USC, but only ND managed to actually lose another game, at home, to a pretty poor MSU squad.

And LSU should be in regardless of what happens to GA. I'd consider Auburn also. As always, the SEC is the best conference.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the SEC west is the best division

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll agree with this much. It's a pretty down year for the SEC all around though, mostly over in the east.

Is that enough to carry the SEC to best conference? Maybe. I'll admit I don't know enough about some of the other conferences compared to the SEC and ACC to feel good enough to make an arguement either way. However, if the SEC really is such an obvious choice for the best conference, it's a down year for college football.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:33 PM

You can't be the best conference if 7 teams in your conference are just plain awful. I don't care if the other 5 are 1-2-3-4-5.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't be the best conference if 7 teams in your conference are just plain awful. I don't care if the other 5 are 1-2-3-4-5.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a bit extreme, don't you think?
Old 11-20-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the Big Ten is vastly overrated, and the Pac-10 is underrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. This is something that has been more or less consistent year after year, at least recently (say in the last decade or so).

The other reason to put in Oregon is the team has overcome much adversity and the simple fact that they are a fun and exciting football team to watch play, and have won 7 in a row. They would make a good match up against just about any team in the country. And in the end, that is what you want a bowl game to be about.

Also, just as a general comment: Fu*k Ohio State, The Big Ten, and their Moronic Fans.

-Zeno
Old 11-20-2005, 04:19 PM

Sagarin would disagree greatly with you. The Big Ten is 9 deep, something no other conference is. You only have two bad teams out of 11, while most conferences have half of them be terrible (read: SEC).

If any conference is overrated, it's SEC, by a mile. Big Ten is far and away the toughest conference to run the table on.

And I really doubt that any team deserves the outside bid over Notre Dame, Oregon, and OSU (maybe Miami).

And if you need to have a 2-loss team in the BCS (and there's no other one-loss team that deserves a bid besides Oregon), the team that loses to the #2 and #3 team in the country while taking on a tough Big Ten Schedule should be what you're looking for.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the SEC is obviously overrated. after the conference champ gets blown out in their BCS bowl the bowl reps will realize this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just like the last 4 years, right?

Big 10 is still the most overrated conference.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad, I thought the SEC had won the last four Sugar Bowls.

Oh wait, they did, so apparently you're the idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the ratings (used for the BCS) all say that Big 10 is best this year. Here are the Sagarin ratings:

1 BIG TEN
2 ATLANTIC COAST
3 PAC-10
4 BIG 12
5 SOUTHEASTERN
6 BIG EAST
7 I-A INDEPENDENTS
8 MOUNTAIN WEST
9 CONFERENCE USA
10 MID-AMERICAN
11 WESTERN ATHLETIC

Here are the BC Moore rankings:

1 Big 10
2 Big 12
3 Pac 10
4 ACC
5 SEC
6 Big East
7 USA
8 M West
9 Division 1A Independ
10 MAC
11 WAC

Here are the Anderson Sports rankings:

Big Ten
Atlantic Coast
Big 12
Pac-10
Southeastern
Big East
Mountain West
Conference USA
Mid-American
WAC
Sun Belt

And here are the Wolfe ratings:

1 Big 10
2 Big 12
3 ACC
4 Pac 10
5 SEC
6 Big East
7 Mtn West
8 C-USA
9 MAC
10 I-A Indep.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously, these ratings are a joke

big ten sucks as usual
big twelve sucks

Watching the games, it's clearly the Pac10, SEC, and ACC above those two

Did everyone forget the BigTen's test week earlier in the year? Texas wins at Ohio State (toughest Big10 game possible). Notre Dame wins at Michigan. Iowa State beat Iowa's ass. Big10 blows

somehow, the big10 is always rated good when the traditional powers do well
Old 11-20-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
seriously, these ratings are a joke

[/ QUOTE ]

Any ratings with the B12 ranked higher than like the 5th best conference instantly lose credibility.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:27 PM

Yeah, because Texas, Iowa State, and Notre Dame are such bad teams.