Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Considering hiring a coach

I've been kicking around the idea of finding a coach. Who out there would be willing? What are the pros/cons? What kind of agreement is normal?

I'm not looking for a bankroll or a loan, just a mentor.

I currently play 80% 10+1's and 20% 20+2's at Party.

I have a very small sample size. I've played just under 400 tourneys. Reason for this is monitor real estate. Im stuck with 1024x768 until I can convince the wife to accept a different monitor. At that resolution two tables is the max I have attempted.

My overall ITM is 34% and my ROI is -3%. Both of these numbers have been affected by a cold spell over the last 50 tourneys with a 19% ITM and -67% ROI.

I want to work my game in the 10's and progress at least to the 50's. My ultimate goal playing online is to average $100 profit per day over the course of a month. I understand there would be days and even months where this would not be sustainable, but overall, I feel that average would be attainable in the long run.

So, what advice can you give me on whether or not a coach would be the best way to achieve my goals?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Considering hiring a coach

i need a coach too. there are probably quite a few guys on these boards playing higher limits that would make great coaches/mentors.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:14 PM

why isnt it that you were running good and thats why your ROI is only -3 and not worse? why does everyone on this forum only experience negative variance?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:18 PM

Dude,

All he said was his ROI was affected by a cold spell. He's looking for a coach. I would expect he wants someone to help improve his game, not his luck. In other words, give him a break.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:20 PM

please, he has another post also on the front page crying about a 50 sng cold streak, calm down sheriff.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:22 PM

Well, I just looked at that for the first time and was coming back here to say something about how you could at least say something mean in his bad beat thread instead.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:23 PM

Good variance?

OK, the month of June left me with 47% ITM and 45% ROI.

Its not posted for two reasons:

1.) Sample size is too small and those rates are not sustainable.

2.) Human nature to remember every detail of every bad thing that happens. The good stuff we remember, but not nearly as clearly as the bad stuff.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why isnt it that you were running good and thats why your ROI is only -3 and not worse? why does everyone on this forum only experience negative variance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two reasons:

1) I'm willing to bet (maybe at 1-2 against or so) that people on this board make a net profit, and a positive ROI player is way more likely to notice a bunch of losses than a larger than normal amount of wins (maybe even negative ROI players are the same).

2) One of the three or so reasons we're able to consistently take money from donks is the basic psychological concept that people generally think they're good at stuff, in fact, better than the average person. This is generally a good thing because it makes people strive to prove this and encourages voting in democracies and stuff, but it also makes party poker and the members of this forum money.

There was an article in card player about this that summarized it in the common statement among poker losers "I think overall I'm even or maybe a little up."

Not saying you're a loser, btw, OP.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:26 PM

any other requests you wanna make while you have my attention?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good variance?

OK, the month of June left me with 47% ITM and 45% ROI.

Its not posted for two reasons:

1.) Sample size is too small and those rates are not sustainable.

2.) Human nature to remember every detail of every bad thing that happens. The good stuff we remember, but not nearly as clearly as the bad stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good month. Gl OP.