Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 05-06-2003, 03:16 AM

Default Re: WMBs

"The sky is cloudy"-- Is that statement True or False, or is it some days true and some days false?

It is either True or False about the specific sky it refers to. (If it meant as saying that "The sky is ALWAYS cloudy" then it is obviously False, and not "some days false". If it is meant as saying "The sky is cloudy TODAY", you cannot know if it's True or False until you look out the window.)

One more hint : The statement "The sky is sometimes cloudy and sometimes is not" is True.

Now what about this statement: "No one holds the moral high ground?" Is that statement always true, or is it true only in some cases?

I see I have to elaborate. If Statement A ("No one holds the moral high ground") is meant as saying "No one EVER holds the moral high ground" then it is obviously False : someone's got to hold the goddamn high ground at any time! Even relatively to the other party.

If A is meant as saying that "No one ALWAYS holds the moral high ground", then, as Zeno indicated, it is True : no regime, whether a democracy or a dictatorship, can lay claim to holding always the moral high ground.

Don't get confused with World War II and the Axis, etc. The Allies at the time held all the moral high ground plus the suburbs! This is irrelevant to what we're dicussing.

"Up with governments deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed!"

Ahh, consent, there's a funny word! Do you think that having the consent of a minority of the people qualifies as "consent of the governed"? You wanna shoot for "apathy of the governed"? (Just tryin' to help.)
Old 05-06-2003, 03:28 AM

Default Combinations

Arrogant is the person (and, yes, Dubya is a person) that promises to undo all dictatorships and change the face of the world as we know it.

I'll leave Dangerous for some other time.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:50 AM

Default Zeno\'s Statement

Zeno: "Point being no one group or association of peoples, however organized, has any "high moral ground" to stand on."

andyfox: "Exactly the point Cyrus and I are making. M would disagree."

Doesn't Zeno, since he doesn't further qualify this statement, seem to be making a blanket statement(which is what I'm disagreeing with). Especially notice the "no one group or association, however organized"--it really seems to me he is making a general statement.

So if we're just arguing about the interpetation of Zeno's statement...

Not sure about your point regarding consent of the governed; at any rate, I'll bet we see a higher voter turnout in 2004;-)
Old 05-06-2003, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Combinations

Did he promise that?
Old 05-06-2003, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Zeno\'s Statement

M,

Since the previous election taught us that the individual vote means very little (unless that vote resides in Clarence Thomas's hands), I doubt we will see a significantly higher voter turnout. We may, though, have already reached the floor, but I think for years to come voter turnout should remain plus or minus three percent of its last total--weather permitting. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

John
Old 05-06-2003, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Dubya as the immortal Phantom

1.Iraq is a militarily occupied dictaatorship.
2. The USA is ruled by an unelected Dictator.
3. Globalizationa and the WTO have made democracy irrelavent.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Teacher\'s pet

Our WMD. Locked in boxes, only taken out for formal holiday dinners and then never even completely unpacked.
Their WMD. Likely to actually be used against someone else.

Yep, we can have them, they can't. Seems perfectly logical.

Old 05-06-2003, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Dubya as the immortal Phantom

1. Iraq WAS an occupied dictatorship. Now it's an occupied assembly of arguing factions all hoping for a piece of the new Iraqi pie.

2. Until you can figure out a way to remove the Electoral College and the Supreme Court from the US governmental system, Bush was elected. Argue it all you want. Whether he shot an angle to get the win or not is completely irrelevant.He won under the rules in play at the time of the game. Gore simply wasn't good enough to do so.

3. Globalization and the WTO have made democracy irrelevant? Pardon? Okay, take your time here... explain this if you would.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Teacher\'s pet

"The Bush doctrine could be most clearly stated with the statement "What's OK for me is not OK for you." "

That's been the U.S. foreign policy since WWII (pursued by both parties by the way) and it's a good policy. It's the only sane approach in a world with nuclear weapons.

We've got 'em. Places like North Korea and Iran should not. Even someone as dim as W can see that.

I'm not saying we've implemented that policy perfectly over the last 60 years (e.g. Pakistan and Israel) but it's definitely the right policy.