Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 08:24 PM

Default First HUSH Post: Defending with AJ

Hey all, I'm another SS regular making the transition to short. I've played about 15k hands at 3/6 and am finally getting somewhat comfortable with the differences. Hopefully you guys can help me iron out the rest of my game.

In this hand the villian is somewhat tight with his pre-flop raises but properly aggressive after. How's my line? Better to bet the turn and fold to a riase? Call a raise? Should I 3-bet the river? Fold the river? I hate being out of position.

I know this one is fairly simplistic. Hopefully I'll have some better hands in the future.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.16 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (4.16 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.16 BB
Old 08-08-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Re: First HUSH Post: Defending with AJ

You're double gutted on the turn you know, bet and definitely don't fold to a raise
Old 08-08-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're double gutted on the turn you know, bet and definitely don't fold to a raise

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-08-2005, 09:10 PM

Ok, I understand that I'm fairly strong on the turn, but I'm still not sure I like the idea of an automatic bet. First, with a flop like that, what hands am I ahead of? If the guy is a tightish raiser, I'm ahead of A9 and down, KJ. I'm behind just about anything else. The only hand I really am worried about giving a free card is KJ.

Also, (and maybe this is a leak) I have a really hard time betting marginal hands on the turn when my hand is strong enough that I'll have to call a raise. For example, if I have a made hand, the bet is easy. If I have a marginal hand with no hope of improving, the bet is easy (as I can fold to a raise without regrets). On the other hand, if I have a hand that is strong enough to call, I often find myself just checking and calling a bet. I really hate it when I'm forced to put in two bets on the turn when I'm drawing somewhat thin to the best hand.

So, with those two sentiments in mind, I checked the turn. Was it that bad?
Old 08-08-2005, 09:13 PM

If checking the turn is your standard play here, yes it is bad. Putting people on reasonable hands before they show any aggression except for a blind steal is a bad idea. Probably a leak.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:26 AM

Ok, fair enough. I think I need to make myself bet these more often. It's something I'll work on.

Now how about the river? Standard? Say I bet the turn and he calls. I bet the river and he raises? I assume I call regardless, yes?
Old 08-09-2005, 12:34 AM

Yes. Bet the turn, bet the river &amp; call a raise.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:42 AM

Yep, just call the river raise. No reason to 3-bet, and definitely don't fold.