Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Gutshot + flush draw out of position on the turn

1/2 NL 6 max.

Opponent in this hand is not very good. Some hands ago he min raised w QJdd, led a 972 board (1 diamond), called a 1/2 pot raise, then moved in when a Q hit (vs 97). A few hands later he min raised pre-flop with A8, led a 976 board, check-called the blank turn, moved in on the blank river, and showed. A previous note about him says "stubborn. Bets to weakness". He's on $254.

My table image is pretty bad, as I have been raising pre-flop loads. I flopped some big hands early on to get to $500, but the respect from that has now worn off.

Thoughts on my line?

Hero raises $7 UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Villain calls from LP, BB calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], pot $23. Hero bets $14. Villain calls, BB folds.
Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], pot $51. (Villain has ~$230 behind) Hero check-calls $30.
River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], pot $111. Hero check-folds to $100 bet.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Gutshot + flush draw out of position on the turn

You say your opp. bets when senses weakness. So pot the flop, if he calls the pot is now 70 instead of 50. Now you can CR the turn all in when you miss...or when you hit for that matter.

-SmileyEH
Old 12-18-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts on my line?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like to be out of position with a dominated hand against a stubborn LAG, so I might not raise it preflop, but the rest looks good: blocking bet on flop, implied odds on turn call.

You got to the river as cheaply as you could with the chance for a nice pot if you hit.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So pot the flop, if he calls the pot is now 70 instead of 50. Now you can CR the turn all in when you miss...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not against a stubborn LAG who would have a good part of his stack in by that point.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So pot the flop, if he calls the pot is now 70 instead of 50. Now you can CR the turn all in when you miss...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not against a stubborn LAG who would have a good part of his stack in by that point.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I admire the sentiment, and your point about thinking about stack sizes more is well taken (not something I do enough); but you've got to figure that board has hit him, and I don't reckon I have much fold equity given his play to date.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:56 PM

I'm just going by your read, his range of hands is very wide if he'll call the flop with any pair, gutshot, FD type hands. Your check shows him weakness so he's going to bet pretty much everything. If he's not that type of player than your line is fine I guess...just something to think about in order to combat a player that's pushing you around.

-SmileyEH
Old 12-18-2005, 04:51 PM

Didn't mean to come across quite as dismissive ... my worry with the c-raise is that there aren't that many hands that might call the flop that haven't been reasonably hit by the turn. Which doesn't mean that I shouldn't have potted the flop, to give myself the option...

Is it unreasonable to give villain a range on the turn that's something like TP, pair + draw, oesd, combo draw, 2 pair? Is that ridiculously pessimistic? I'm assuming that with this range (a) I have little/no fold equity (b) I don't want a call...
Old 12-18-2005, 05:35 PM

I bet 20 on the flop instead of 14, rest looks good.