Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 12:44 AM

Default What I do not respect in Poker

I do not respect one-card-straights and one-card flushes. I feel dirty when I make one, and think worse of my opponent when he makes one. Apparently, I am not the only one who is affected by them, as a friend of mine insists that if you're drawing to a one-card-nut-straight you should count it as 7 outs and not 9. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Convince me that these are good for the game.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Re: What I do not respect in Poker

Today I got all-in with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] vs. A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Flop came 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

You're damn skippy I felt justified when the turn [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] river [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] gave me the nut flush.

A hand is a hand is a hand.

Pep.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:07 AM

That's different because AT doesn't deserve to win the hand in the first place. Imagine it the other way around where he makes the one card flush (and imagine the your AK is suited).
Old 04-14-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's different because AT doesn't deserve to win the hand in the first place. Imagine it the other way around where he makes the one card flush (and imagine the your AK is suited).

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. Those situations suck.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:25 AM

Try omaha, there are no 1 card flushes or 1 card straights, as you MUST play 2 cards from your hand.

cielo
Old 04-14-2005, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AT doesn't deserve to win the hand in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this the most interesting part of this thread.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No hand "deserves" to win. A hand is just a either a statistical favorite or dog vs. another hand. When you start feeling you "deserve" to win a hand because you had the better starting hand, it only leads to misplaying hands.

Look at it this way. If the hand given as an example was not all-in preflop would the player with AK be correct in calling an all-in bet post flop? If you called an all-in bet with no pair and only a back door flush draw you "deserve" to lose b/c you made a bad call for all your chips with what was the best starting hand but should now be obvious is no longer best, and that is definately a -EV decision.

All you can do in poker is make the best possible decision with the information available to you AT THE PRESENT MOMEMENT. If you make more correct decisions you will make money in the long run, but making the correct decision does not always entitle you to the pot.

PT
Old 04-14-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
, as a friend of mine insists that if you're drawing to a one-card-nut-straight you should count it as 7 outs and not 9. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Last I heard a straight draw could only have 8 outs not 9 [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

People playing 1 card straight draws like that are good for the game because they are generally poor hands to draw to. They are good plays for your opponents to make, not you.

If people didn't draw to bad hands and actually hit them once in awhile there would be no game so yes they are VERY good for the game.

PT
Old 04-14-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not respect one-card-straights and one-card flushes. I feel dirty when I make one, and think worse of my opponent when he makes one. Apparently, I am not the only one who is affected by them, as a friend of mine insists that if you're drawing to a one-card-nut-straight you should count it as 7 outs and not 9. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really dont like them, you should try out omaha. No one card straights or flushes there, and watch out for your 'boats' that are really a set
Old 04-14-2005, 11:16 AM

You know, when someone makes a comment about a hand "deserving" to win, I find it works to look them right in the eye, and say in my gruffest tone of voice, "'Deserves' got nothing to do with it," a la Unforgiven .