Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 10:26 PM

Default Re: 1971 Impala (regaining my youth)

I love dark green, but I lived in those days and don't remember dark green on those cars back then. So I think you would be "modernizing" it if you chose dark green, kinda like if you painted it teal. Except less gay.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a blue one I found on Ebay:

Auction. I think I would go darker than this. I also think a dark green would look good.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh my jesus that is perfect. Perfect shade, everything. Please do that and post pictures so that I can be jealous.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You want to low-ride-duh it, eh? You could also Starsky & Hutch it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Starky & Hutch an Impala?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't do it!

Spend your time and money on a car that has a good resale value. This project seems like a big waste of resources. Sell it and find something in LA with less rust and not as beat up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This car has a lot of sentimental value to me. I got it from my grandma who died two years ago. I dated my soon-to-be wife in this car. I got laid in the backseat for the first time. It's been on countless camping and road trips. I remember all of these times and feel good in this car. And it's fun to drive.

Also, I'm not doing this because it makes financial sense. It's a hobby/passion, not an investment.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love dark green, but I lived in those days and don't remember dark green on those cars back then. So I think you would be "modernizing" it if you chose dark green, kinda like if you painted it teal. Except less gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sort of modernizing is fine with me. I don't care if they offered a particular color in 1971. I just don't want to change it in a meaningful way. Car color isn't meaningful in my book so long as it isn't over the top pink or something. I'm fine putting radials on it too. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't do it!

Spend your time and money on a car that has a good resale value. This project seems like a big waste of resources. Sell it and find something in LA with less rust and not as beat up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't listen to this. This has two great things going for it - sentimental attachment, and the fact that it's not monstrously expensive. There were a lot of impalas made, and finding parts or, better yet, a whole parts car might not be too hard or expensive.

eBay is also great for finding parts for old vehicles. However, be very careful about prices. Some of the people bidding are idiots and push prices way too high.