Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 05:58 AM

Default \'06 World Series Odds

These are my odds on the 8 teams that I feel have the best chance to win the World Series next year... let me know how close you think I am..

White Sox 5:1
Cardinals 5:1
Indians 6:1
Yankees 8:1
Braves 9:1
Mets 9:1
Red Sox 12:1
Angels 12:1
Old 11-25-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Re: \'06 World Series Odds

IMO you are mistaken, I have no factuallreasoning to back this up. but i think you have the indians and the mets way overrated.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO you are mistaken, I have no factuallreasoning to back this up. but i think you have the indians and the mets way overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The mets still haven't landed Wagner (or any good closer). They still need a stronger non-cloer bullpen as well. But, if they get Wagner, if Pedro can have a good year, and they manage to pick up Manny, they definitely have a good shot.

I also don't like the odds of 12:1 on Boston. They won 95 games with no pitching. And even though I am not a NYY fan, I find it amazing that both those teams could pull off that many wins and have no pitching worth mentioning (except for maybe Riverra).

craig
Old 11-25-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And what team is better than the Indians in the AL next year?

The White Sox won't make the playoffs. There's no way they go 35-19 in one run games next year. None. Zero. Zilch.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The White Sox won't make the playoffs. There's no way they go 35-19 in one run games next year. None. Zero. Zilch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think that? I hope its not because that can't happen two years in a row. I know it is very unlikely, but it could happen.

craig

p.s. Anybody with half a brain knows that KC is going to win the world series [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think that? I hope its not because that can't happen two years in a row. I know it is very unlikely, but it could happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

The likelihood of another 35-19 season is, of course, mathematically the same, assuming the bullpen remains quality, the hitting and defense are still reasonable, and Ozzie still has a fairy Godmother in the clubhouse. That being said, that still makes the odds something awfully ridiculous, like in the 1% area of ridiculous.

By the way, to amend my earlier statement, I could certainly see the Angels as the best team in the AL, but I don't see why the Indians would not be considered one of the top two teams. Of course, all you'll hear about come March is New York and Boston.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The likelihood of another 35-19 season is, of course, mathematically the same, assuming the bullpen remains quality, the hitting and defense are still reasonable, and Ozzie still has a fairy Godmother in the clubhouse. That being said, that still makes the odds something awfully ridiculous, like in the 1% area of ridiculous.

By the way, to amend my earlier statement, I could certainly see the Angels as the best team in the AL, but I don't see why the Indians would not be considered one of the top two teams. Of course, all you'll hear about come March is New York and Boston.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a huge Boston fan, so I can't complain. But, they do have the most "superstars", so of course the media is going to discuss them more. I don't agree with that at all.

ANA can somehow get Manny, they will have two of the best hitters on their team, a great defense, and a decent pen. Plus, they only have to beat out 3 other teams to make the playoffs. I just don't know if Manny would fit in with Sciossia (sp?). Francona seems to be much more easy going. Does anybody think that if they would have let Guillen play two years ago, Boston would have swept them. I just don't see something like that happening in Boston, but with Scosscia and Manny it could be pretty volatile.

craig
Old 11-25-2005, 11:13 AM

"And what team is better than the Indians in the AL next year?"

The indians have 6 free agents- Their #1 starter, and their closer, and their set up man being three of them. I agree that they have a good shot since thier entire team is young and has the potential to improve- But seriously- a world series team with Casey blake in right field, and ben broussard at first?
What i'm really not sold on thie team is its ability in pressure situations. Thier record in 1-run games was the opposite of the White Sox, and they have collapsed at the end of the year two seasons in a row.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Indians 6:1
Yankees 8:1
Mets 9:1

[/ QUOTE ]

Pass the bong plz///
Old 11-25-2005, 01:39 PM

I'd throw my Tigers in there at 200:1