Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Problems with Dell 2001FP ebay purchase

Asia, at this link:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we.../ua/policy_pbp

it gives a lot of information about the credit card chargeback process. It says that the claim will automatically be cancelled if I file a credit card chargeback. In your opinion should I attempt this while the claim is pending or wait until I know the results of the claim, and then file a chargeback if I do not get a full refund? For all I know, the seller has more than enough money in his paypal account and is just bluffing to make me cancel it.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Problems with Dell 2001FP ebay purchase

[ QUOTE ]
Asia, at this link:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we.../ua/policy_pbp

it gives a lot of information about the credit card chargeback process. It says that the claim will automatically be cancelled if I file a credit card chargeback. In your opinion should I attempt this while the claim is pending or wait until I know the results of the claim, and then file a chargeback if I do not get a full refund? For all I know, the seller has more than enough money in his paypal account and is just bluffing to make me cancel it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no expert [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But if I were you, I would contact Paypal and ask about the status of your chargeback, and if there is any $ to be received (in the seller's account) if it does go thru. I doubt he's bluffing about not carrying a pp balance though; if he *knew* he ripped you off, it was in his best interest to remove his funds from pp and avoid freezing them there.

I don't think paypal can/will seize funds from a linked bank account and/or credit card; I think they on;y resolve $ issues with current balances. That's just my opinion though.

Take PP's answer about chargebacks w/ a grain of salt-- They discourage them b/c they are eating the cost being received, so they will discourage you using a chargeback method. Imo, pp's protections are worse than a credit card's (based on when and how much they have access to.) Your cc will initally eat the loss and then recover it, so you know they've got their interests invested in recovery-- whereas pp (afaik) only resolves disputes btw buyers/sellers and faces no monetary losses (except in chargebacks), so really has no (monetary) reason to help as your cc will.

I think most cc give 60 days, perhaps 90, for chargeback claims. In my experience (as a buyer, but nothing of the value you lost), over 30 days PP wouldn't even look @ the claim-- are you sure you filed outside of the 30 days? I'm surprised they're willing to help if it ahs been more than 30 days.

If I were you, I'd go and reg an acct over at fatwallet and ask your questions in their online auctions forum-- they deal w/ this all the time (where I learned the scant info I know), and may be able to help more and be more specific. Fwiw, most are sellers-- so don't feel bad if you get "stupid buyer!" comments, etc. They may even be able to help w. specific info about the seller too.

Or at least make the calls to paypal and your bank to know what rights you have and the timeline for them to expire (if you only have 60 days to file for your chargeback, that's coming up soon; if you have 90 you have more leeway, etc.) Also verify what stage the investigation is at and what resolution pp can offer you, it'd be a shame to wait out for their claim only to hear that you waited too long to file, there actually is no $ recovery possible, etc. If you know you only have 60 days to file, and if that's coming up, I'd totally do the cc chargeback if it were available to me-- esp. since I've never heard of pp taking up a claim that was filed outside of 30 days.

ebay also has their own buyer protection, have you looked to see if it can help you out?

GL, hope it works out.