Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 07:33 PM

Default KQ middle two pair facing a raise

Here's a KQ hand I feel I really misplayed...button in this hand seemed pretty tight, I put him on a strong hand to call my raise and I thought he had an Ace on the flop when he called my bet. How is my play so far this hand, and how should I deal with the turn raise?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Button ($139.98)
SB ($92.35)
BB ($227.1)
UTG ($105.65)
Hero ($212.3)
CO ($53.67)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $5, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $4, UTG folds.

Flop: ($16.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, Button calls $10, BB calls $10.

Turn: ($46.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $40</font>, BB folds, Hero ??
Old 07-02-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Re: KQ middle two pair facing a raise

flop call turn minraise looks like a set, or AK/AQ....you are not necessarily behind here, and you have outs to 444....but whether or not your hand is good here is beside the point. Where you mislplayed IMO is raising KQ offsuit from mp....then hand plays a lot better if you call a raise or jsut limp...this is not a hand i want OOP in a raised pot, especially if i dont take it down on the flop.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:59 PM

You can only beat a bluff.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:55 PM

You're playing this way too aggressively.

Limp preflop. Don't bet the flop.

You're asking for trouble by building a pot with KQ out of position.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
flop call turn minraise looks like a set, or AK/AQ....you are not necessarily behind here, and you have outs to 444....but whether or not your hand is good here is beside the point. Where you mislplayed IMO is raising KQ offsuit from mp....then hand plays a lot better if you call a raise or jsut limp...this is not a hand i want OOP in a raised pot, especially if i dont take it down on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really...I am kinda new to 6-max, I figured KQo is a raising hand here. Limping in with this seems so weak to me. Would you raise this in CO or button with a 1-2 limpers in front?
Old 07-02-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're playing this way too aggressively.

Limp preflop. Don't bet the flop.

You're asking for trouble by building a pot with KQ out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally I would not bet this flop. For some reason I decided to bet it this time. This preflop raise is no unusual for me though. I thought this was pretty much standard for 6max. Thanks for your comments, I may have to slow down a bit preflop.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:29 PM

In my opinion, KQ is a good hand to open raise in position, and a bad hand to be raising out of position.

Open raise in the CO or button? Absolutely. Raise an UTG limper from MP? Not so much.

KQ is a terrible big pot hand, so you don't want to build the pot out of position.