Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-22-2005, 01:47 AM

Default Re: PokerRoom Opinions, please

You're passing up a lot of cash if you ignore bonuses. It's your time and your money, but...

The recent rake structure change at Poker Room has made the small stakes games some of the most expensive in the industry. Not quite B&M levels, but much higher than other places online. I used to play at Poker Room a lot. After the rake change, I finished clearing my reload bonus and bolted for greener pastures. If you're looking to play low end NL or $5/$10 and up, the rake is okay. In the middle it sucks royally.

Plus, with your machine I think you'd have a tough time multi-tabling at PR. Their software has lots of nice features, but it's horribly inefficient for multi-tabling. I have a dual 2.8GHz Xeon machine with 1GB RAM and the software chews up so much CPU time it sometimes doesn't redraw the cards properly. I've watched as my hand disappeared just before it was my action. I had to scroll back through the history window to see what cards I had. Very bad.

You can only play one table, but you might want to give Pacific a try. The $1/$2 players there are terrible. With the third party Hand Grabber software ($10) Pacific is PT-compatible.

You could also try one or more of the Cryptos. The $1/$2 there tends to be a bit of a rock garden due to all the bonus chasers, but it's beatable. Most of the Cryptos also have monthly bonuses that do not require an additional deposit. William Hill is probably the one to start with. The one big drawback for US players is that the Cryptos primarily market to Europe, so prime time here is the middle of the night there and it can get tough to find a full ring table.