Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 11:05 PM

Default Middle set in SB

I felt like I really butchered this. I hadn't seen this player minraise before, but for the most part he seemed pretty passive. Should I have reraised the flop? Check fold river?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

CO ($50.65)
Button ($245.9)
Hero ($98.75)
BB ($85.5)
UTG ($106.7)
MP ($219.76)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($4) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $6</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $3.

Turn: ($16) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $12</font>, UTG calls $12.

River: ($40) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $30</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $85
Old 06-07-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Middle set in SB

bump

Maybe this is a boring hand...thoughts anyone?
Old 06-07-2005, 01:58 PM

Only street I think you butchered was the flop. Broadway sets can get ugly in a hurry...even on a rainbow board. I'd probably reraise to at least $15-20. Other than that, I think you played it fine. The river minraise is a sure sign that your hand is no good.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:59 PM

I think reraising the flop would have been better, you are ahead at this point most likely, with no reraises pf, unless he is slow playing JJ or higher which is very unlikely. Getting your money in while ahead would have been good, the turn and river are extremely scary cards, as there are a lot of possible straights, not much you can do, check and fold would be my play.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:00 PM

Personally, I prefer to really push any set on the flop, when there are draws out there.

Given that he didn't raise preflop, I would doubt he's got JJ. So, figuring I'm ahead (but not necessarily WAY ahead) I'd have been inclined to re-raise at least 15-20 on the flop, and if he wants to pay heavily for his TPTK or 2pr, then so be it.

Given your situation, on the river, I'd probably have check/folded, or perhaps called a smallish bet.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:06 PM

I like a preflop raise. if you complete for set value, many times you won't get that much action anyways as people are kicker concious should they pair their A, K, Q, or J, and alot of the times you have a tough time playing a overpair flop thats like 4 6 8 or 578 or 356...etc.... with multiple people to the flop.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:10 PM

on the flop i'd reraise

not having done that, i'd check-raise the turn

check-call the river
Old 06-07-2005, 02:22 PM

Reraise flop and try to take the pot there.

I would never lead into this river, was that suspossed to be a blocking bet? Check/call is even questionable in my mind
Old 06-07-2005, 02:30 PM

Since UTG limped, he could have a lot of different hands: KQ, QJ, AJ, 33, 89, JT (not likely since you have a T), or JJ. I think you have to re-raise preflop to get more information and build the pot (since you're most likely ahead at this point). You have to make it expensive for straight draws to continue. I'm okay with losing my stack to JJ (that's poker). I'll easily get it back the other times I hit my sets and play them strong.

As far as the way you played it, I don't think limping in is a bad play since you are out of position and overcards can easily come on the flop. I think you should've re-raised the flop. Turn is fine. On the river, it's only $15 more to win $85. I might have to call on the river and hope he has 33, AQ, or QJ.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the responses guys, I think I really should've either reraised flop or checkraised the turn. My plan was the latter, but when such a drawy card hit the turn I feared that he might take a free card to beat me. The river was a blocking bet...I thought if I checked there was a possibility he would make a decent sized bet with a hand I could beat and I would have to fold. Was this a bad spot for this kind of move?
Thanks guys