Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 04:36 AM

Default What flop decisions do you struggle with most?

What decisions / concepts do you struggle with the most on the flop ?

I’m tearing apart my flop play and looking for ideas outside of the ones I’ve already come up with. Thanks in advance for your response.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:39 AM

Default Re: What flop decisions do you struggle with most?

I struggle most in HU to 3-handed hands with whether I should continue with an A-high hand. The flop is really where you develop your plan for the whole hand, so it's a loaded question you're asking.

M
Old 10-26-2005, 04:45 AM

bottom pair oop
Old 10-26-2005, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop is really where you develop your plan for the whole hand, so it's a loaded question you're asking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, when u are playing good poker every flop develops like a treestructure in your head where u know what to do in each possible situation. If it doesnt, well, there you got something to struggle with.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The flop is really where you develop your plan for the whole hand, so it's a loaded question you're asking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, when u are playing good poker every flop develops like a treestructure in your head where u know what to do in each possible situation. If it doesnt, well, there you got something to struggle with.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can take that thinking to far thou. i.e. You can start doing thinks that aren't best just to make your decisions later in the hand easier. "Raising for information" comes to mind.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can take that thinking to far thou. i.e. You can start doing thinks that aren't best just to make your decisions later in the hand easier. "Raising for information" comes to mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. But I am not sure it always is a question about taking it to far, sometimes its more lik: "Hm, Im playing many tables and want an easy decision on turn and if I raise for info I will probably get that."

I think one of the main problems for players struggling with moving up from limits like 3/6 is that they arent good enough at this skill. They dont see all the combinations there are (of course noone does).

Many players think that they learn most poker while they play, but I would say this is an example of that this isnt always so. Some genius can learn to see whole hand on flop by playing hand after hand after hand, but it is so complicated that most of us must do it off-tabletime.

One obvious example: In a loose lowlimit game it often is pretty ok to do loose calls on flop. It often isnt -EV. But not thinking on flop and just doing ur standard call with 4 outs and then suddenly have to wake up on turn if u hit something ok but not great and then try to reconstruct the betting from preflop and flop and try to know what to do on turn. Well, this can cost u a lot of $. You cant wait with your plan untill you hit.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:23 AM

I think that's a problem with a lot of 3/6 players. These are the types of players that have an AF of like 4 (mine was 4.5 before I figured this out) because they are trying to always make the right decision, which sounds like a good thing, but it isn't. Sometimes in poker you have to call down and lose because calling down is the right pay. Certain players hate doing this so they raise the flop for information get 3-bet and fold the turn UI. The problem with that kind of thinking is two fold. First, there are a lot of LAGs in 6m who will 3-bet with nothing thus forcing you to fold the best hand, and second, that almost every time it goes bet-raise-call on the flop and check-bet-fold on the turn your out between .5-1.5 BB. That adds up to a lot rather quickly.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:33 AM

Heh, often when I get 3-bet in 6max 3-6 I take it a bit more seriously than that. That being said, I pretty much play exclusively with LPs. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2005, 05:35 AM

Generally I struggle when I'm a preflop raiser and I suspect 2 of the other people in the hand are trying to raise me out of the pot.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:24 AM

When I flop weak hands from the big blind in raised pots probably.