Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Where do the players come from?

I have heard limit hold em is the most popular game on the internet. I got into limit because of a small mistake. I bought SSHE thinking it was NL book. After I figured out it was not and finished reading it, I got hooked onto limit and play it most of the time. I don't know if my expierence is unique, but I have many friends who play all the time and would never play limit. Actually I got to a school with 35,000 people and have not found one person who plays limit. I do not know anyone personally who does. Many people do know think of Limit as a childrens game and don't respect it.

So the question is where do these bad players we all see day after day come from? What keeps them coming back after getting pounded for a month? I have seen a couple players on line contenously getting slapped around, and they keep coming back.

Any theories or answers would be appreciated. This question might seem silly but I do not know why.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Where do the players come from?

New players.

People who don't care about losing money online (honestly, I know a guy who plays the 20/40 on AP and refuses to step down limits).

Short run players who run hot and think they are winners.

And of course, it's always fun taking from 2+2ers on those private tables =).
Old 11-01-2005, 03:29 PM

I've been pounded for a month before and I keep coming back because I believe I'm a winning player at my limit with bad luck. And I don't see how I'm any different from anyone else. Almost everyone playing online poker right now believes they are winning players on cold streaks, whether it's true ot not.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been pounded for a month before and I keep coming back because I believe I'm a winning player at my limit with bad luck. And I don't see how I'm any different from anyone else. Almost everyone playing online poker right now believes they are winning players on cold streaks, whether it's true ot not.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 11-01-2005, 04:01 PM

no limit players lose too much money too quickly [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

NLHE is also more faddy. the gap between NL and L has decreased an unbelievable amount in the last few years
Old 11-01-2005, 04:02 PM

I think a lot of people get into limit, especially low limit, because they don't like the idea of no-limit. They don't want to sit down at a 1/2 no-limit game get AA go all in and get called by a set on the flop and now they're down $200. For that same $200 they could have played for hours at 1/2 limit.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many people do know think of Limit as a childrens game and don't respect it.

[/ QUOTE ]
The biggest-stakes cash game in the world, where some of the top poker pros in the world play, includes limit hold'em but not NL.

Hardly a children's game.

And what D5 says is also true - yet limit has more variance (risk) than NL, due to a number of factors. For new players, limit feels safer.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And what D5 says is also true - yet limit has more variance (risk) than NL, due to a number of factors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely agree, but to a player thinking about the short term the risk of losing $1000 in a night is much more daunting than losing $200.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no limit players lose too much money too quickly [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

NLHE is also more faddy. the gap between NL and L has decreased an unbelievable amount in the last few years

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you want to finish clearing my Absolute bonus tonight?

I prolly have 500 more hands to play.

Call, e-mail, or respond.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you want to finish clearing my Absolute bonus tonight?

I prolly have 500 more hands to play.

Call, e-mail, or respond.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, I have a review tomorrow. I'd probably do it tomorrow if Absolute wasn't rigged. I also still have to get the computer fixed/finish my party bonus from oh so long ago.