Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Please look at my 50K stats. I must totally suck.

you seem to think that being "pretty smart" will translate to success at anything, including poker.

it doesn't work that way.

back to poker. you are a rock. in your assimilation of poker literature you surely must know this. i don't don't mean that you read it. clearly with an astonishing memory and grasp of mathematics you must KNOW it. and also that a rockish style of play is a poor one, though it can be break-even or slightly profitable at loose passive tables.

i suggest an attitude adjustment and putting some serious work into your game, should you wish to improve.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know you guys are probably going to mention stuff like posting hands and hitting the books. I just don’t think that the leak is there. One of the gifts I was given in life is an ability to absorb massive amounts of material from books. My recall memory and mathematics are nothing short of astonishing. You can not become an MD in today’s society without being pretty smart. There’s a huge difference between reading and knowing books and believe you me I know them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, I think I found the problem...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you d5. I think the first step in playing poker well is having the humility to admit you're not playing well, and the willingness to examine all aspect of one's play. Perhaps your mathematics skills, as applied to poker, are not as astonishing as you believe.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:25 PM

I'd get bored from all that folding.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:28 PM

If you have honestly read the right books and learned them well there is no way your VPIP would be 14% and have a preflop raise of 5%. Seriously, I didn't know it was possible to play as tight as you do. You NEED to read small stakes holdem. Read the pre-flop chapter. You may have read it and know it but you are definitely not applying it. It breaks down all the types of hands and which ones are profitable in what situations. You are folding way too many profitable hands. I can't really comment on your postflop play, but I would have to guess that you have a "fit or fold" mentality and fold too often, but call down when you have a good hand that someone else says they can beat. Post hands, read SSHE. There you go.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:43 PM

Hey car ramrod, don't have to tell him twice.

My recall memory and mathematics are nothing short of astonishing.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:50 PM

hey mdplayah -

i was wondering why you played 50k hands like this when you could have checked your preflop stats at 10k hands and compared them to

a) another stat thread
b) the stat thread
c) the stats given in the FAQ
d) the stats that would result from using a preflop chart
e) your memory

really, to me this just shows that you have not yet put enough effort into your game to become a winning player. you only have 20-something posts here, but you've played soooo many hands. you could get better by just reading and digesting everything you read, but i don't think you read the forums very much. i think you want everyone to fix what you're doing wrong based on a few numbers. unfortunately, poker is more complicated than that, and no one can do that for you.

don't want to read any books? then read these forums. figure out for yourself what you're doing wrong.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:52 PM

It was already stated, but...

VP$IP – 13.89% Too low. Increase 50%.
VP$small blind – 25.10% Too low
Folds SB to steal – 89.94% Too high
Folded BB to steal – 75.41% Too high
ATT to steal blinds – 14.26% Way too low. Double it.
W$WSF – 30.28%
Went to SD – 31.91% Looks a little low, especially for someone playing so few hands. Probably folding some winners.
Won$@SD – 53.47%
PFR – 5.05% Way too low. Double it.
SD/100 – 13.4287
BB/100 -- negative 0.57 Too low.

Need more info, what's your...
- Aggression by street with preflop checkbox blank?
- Folded to river bet?
- Check Raises %

> I don’t think that my rockish preflop tendencies account enough for this dramatically poor BB/100.

It probably doesn't. Might be too passive postflop also.

> This game has completely broken my heart. There must be something else going on here. Please help.

Running bad is depressing. Take a break. Cut back on tables, play better when you come back, and call me in the morning.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:31 PM

When I first read the OP I knew the first 5 answers were going to be increase VPIP to 18% becuase thats the exact same advice people said to me in a similar thread I made a few weeks ago (i was around 13% too).

Problem was no one was able to actively point out where to get the extra 5% from even when I provided hand histories. Best answer I got was 'Figure it out yourself'.

I dont disagree when you guys say 13% is way too low, but simply telling someone to increase it isnt a good answer. Its a pre fabricated answer, you look at the stats and say - yep this is too low/too high/too low/too high like the numbers are an exact science. Now the question OP asked is pretty generic, so I cant really fault anybody for a generic answer, but we simply cant analyze anything in depth from his numbers. We need to see hands.

So to the OP, you are going to have to get over yourself and start posting hands, reading and UNDERSTANDING concepts in the books, and looking over hands on these boards. Unless you get someone to coach you or look over a sample of your hands, no one here can really tell you what you need to improve on besides some generic 'play more hands, but not too many hands' answer.

Simply raising your VPIP and PFR isnt going to solve your problems, becuase unless you understand why you making certain plays you most likely are going to start making the plays just so your numbers look right, which will lead to more lost BBs.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:41 PM

Tom,

Thank you. That was awesome. Thank you so much for the reply. I know exactly how I’m gonna change my game.

Other stats that you asked about:

AF:
Pre-flop—0.51
Flop—4.81
Turn—2.43
River--1.23

Total—1.30

Check – Raise on flop – 0.48

Not sure where to get the fold to a river bet (just got PT).

I appreciate the replies, but I can not help but think that some of you are taking shots at me while I’m down. Sure I said some things in the OP that coulda came off cocky, but this is probably a defense mechanism since I’ve been losing lately. And if you check the subject, I even admitted that I suck. This post is about my numbers and that’s it.

Milesdyson,

Obviously you’re not going to help me and that’s okay, but I have to disagree with you.
Poker is not that complicated. You can figure it out. You can read and reread books until your eyes hurt. You can read articles and do practice questions and read forums. You can look at a starting hands chart for long enough and realize that you know it …perfect. You can play tons of hands to get experience. You can figure it out.

Maybe you have and that’s fine. Have you been dealt a bad hand at other aspects in life and that’s why you respond like that towards me?? I must be a bad player cause I have so few posts…
Old 11-01-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Milesdyson,

Obviously you’re not going to help me and that’s okay, but I have to disagree with you.
Poker is not that complicated. You can figure it out. You can read and reread books until your eyes hurt. You can read articles and do practice questions and read forums. You can look at a starting hands chart for long enough and realize that you know it …perfect. You can play tons of hands to get experience. You can figure it out.

Maybe you have and that’s fine. Have you been dealt a bad hand at other aspects in life and that’s why you respond like that towards me?? I must be a bad player cause I have so few posts…

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding Miles, he sounds gruff, but that's how he responds to everybody's posts. It's not personal. It's spunk.

You said you were an MD--I trust, even though you were gifted, you had to read, be taught, and learn about things like how the body works, how medicine interacts with the body, etc, etc. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge of medicine, but I cannot imagine that you never spent less than 30,000 hours reading, listening and talking about medicine in order to be a successful doctor. You didn't just assume the "foot bone is connected to the ankle bone." I know this is a oversimplification, but please consider the generality behind it.